A Choice Of Seasons

The doona lay silently on the bed. Having completed his job the night before he felt content. Winter was a wonderful time for him. It did not matter if the days consisted of sun or shadows, come night a body would curl up beneath him and hold him tight. The doona sighed, relishing the memories, and pushed all thoughts of summer from his mind. It was only July and even spring was months away.
And yet only centimetres away in a box beneath the bed, lay a gorgeous pair of bright blue swimmers, who were feeling feelings that were exactly the opposite to those of the doona. Winter was a horrible time for her and even thoughts of summer could not warm her heart. She had served her owner well last season, and the season before and she had to consider the idea that she would no-longer fit. Wriggling, the swimmers continued to pout, she was still in good condition, perhaps she would be passed on, but the thought did little to comfort her. To a new owner she would not be a favourite pair of swimmers but a spare pair and this pair of swimmers did not wish to be second best.
The carpet, an accomplished mind reader, was disgusted by the thoughts of the swimmers. Being loved second best was better than not being loved at all. The carpet was being replaced tomorrow and was still trying to come to terms with the matter. He had faded and was stained. He silently cursed those who had spilled their drinks and varnishes across him. He begrudged the polishes and vacuum cleaners that had not done their jobs properly. He yelled loudly at the curtain for not protecting him from the sun.
But the curtain only laughed. He had seen the seasons change many more times than the doona, the swimmers, or the carpet, or even all of them put together. He had seen furniture and clothes and carpets come and go and it had made him philosophical. Not even owners lasted forever. He could only do his job and enjoy his times of rest. One day his time would come and when it did, he would not have wasted a moment.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!