You Just Have To Believe

When I was young I was looked at as a stereotype girl. Only thinking about boys, dolls and looking pretty but I was different.

Every Sunday my parents forced me to go to Sunday school.
“If God created animals why did he let so many die?” I asked. The teacher looked at me and gave me a stare as to say ‘Don’t you dare interrupt again’.
“I think that he wanted to make us suffer for all the sins we have had!” I said standing up. I fell down and when Mrs. Peters went to help me up her wrinkly skin brushed up against my arm and I shivered.
I repeated “I think that he wanted to make us suffer for all the sins we have had!”

“You are a disgrace young lady!” dad yelled in the car on the way home, “You are a disgrace to the school, your mother and most of all to God!” he carried on but I had heard it all before.
I said staring at the pouring rain surrounding the car. I was trapped! When I got home mum was furious.
“You are grounded!” she said as the word grounded rung in my ear over and over.

It was my turn to speak in front of the class and as I stood up and presented my oral I kept my eyes on the ground. I remembered what dad had said about me and a small tear rolled down my cheek, as I watched it slowly fall to the ground I felt like I was falling, falling until I hit the ground with a splat. That night I prayed.

Dear Lord,
I need your help. I am sorry that I interrupted in Sunday school. I would like to pray for one thing and one thing only, a Friend. I don’t care who it is as long as I have someone to talk to. That is all I ask for.
Amen.

The next day near the school playground I saw a kid sitting on the swing all by himself. He had brown hair, he was wearing jeans and a green shirt and his face looked so peaceful. We sat and talked and although we talked for hours the bell never went. A group of kid’s went past and started to laugh. Carl and I got up and walked away. We decided to go to the dam and as I got up I slowly walked towards the water. Carl stood next to me but as I looked in I could only see my reflection. My eyes slowly rose and looked into his. He nodded and I realized that this whole week I had never considered that Carl was my imaginary friend.

When I got home mum was sitting at the table with dad and I sat down.
“Mum I made a new friend. He is magic and we have so much fun together.” I said as mum gave me a strange look and I knew exactly what to say.

“Mum, Sometimes you just have to believe.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!