Daisy's Legacy

Daisy’s Legacy

Daisy’s creamy coloured yellow dress swirled around her as she spun around in circles. She loved doing this because she liked to look at all the beautiful colours blending together like a water colour painting. It was the perfect afternoon until she was suddenly grabbed by her mother. Her mother was in tears as she let go of Daisy’s arm and slowly walked away. Daisy knew she was to follow so she raced after her mother to catch up to her.
Her mother was headed for the Mataku Tribe chief’s wurley, Daisy knew her father had been very ill of late and could only think the worst. Daisy and her father were very close so she wished and prayed for him to get better every day. Her father was the chief of the Mataku Tribe which was the last Aboriginal tribe in Australia and was slowly dying out.
Daisy finally reached her father’s wurley and felt very tired. She was asked to step inside as her father wished to speak to her. Daisy was relieved to know that her father was still alive but she when she entered his wurley she quickly realised that he was on his death bed. Daisy couldn’t understand her father properly but could just make out he was saying, “Daisy, step by my side, I want you to know I’m sorry to be leaving this world but I will always watch over you.” With that he passed away.
Daisy was in tears as she stepped out of the wurley. Her mother was standing there holding a small wallaby and said to Daisy, “Your father wanted you to have this before he died so I think it is time to give it to you,” and with that she handed the wallaby over to Daisy. “Thank you,” whispered Daisy. Daisy knew for the next long years this wallaby would keep her company and even though the passing of her father was terrible she would be able to live on with good memories not sad ones.

Lateisha Dixon (13)
16 Allen Street Toowoomba Qld 4350
Year 8 - Toowoomba State High School (TRIP program)


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!