King For A Day

“Wake up every one! It’s my Birthday!” screams a young voice. “I’m nine today!”

I groaned. That would be my brother Jesse. Just in case you don’t all ready know, it’s his birthday. Today is his day. My parents have a rule: whoever’s birthday it is rules the house. It’s a good on my birthday but every other birthday, it sucks. My brother makes himself king every year. I dive under my pillow.

I flick off the sheets and get dressed. While I’m getting dressed let me tell you about myself.

My name is Matthew Benjamin Foster, everyone calls me Matt. I am twelve, almost thirteen. I ‘m in year six at Red River Primary school. I play rugby on the weekends and absolutely hate girls. Except Kylie. She’s in my class, pretty, likes boy stuff. There is only one problem. SHE HATES ME! I think.

I finish getting dressed. I walk into the kitchen. Mum and Dad are sitting around the table talking to Jesse.

“But I want my presents now!” screams Jesse.

“There is no time now,” says mum’s soothing voice “Today is the sports carnival.”

Oh no. I forgot. I rush back up stairs and change. I sprint through the kitchen grabbing an apple. At least Jesse is already on his way to the bus stop so he can’t order me around on the way.

“Bye Mum! Bye Dad!” I call over my shoulder as I race down the drive way.

I get to the bus stop just as the bus arrives, dashing past Jesse.

“Hey, I was supposed to get on first! It’s my day today,” he sulks.

I pretend not to hear.

As we get close to school I notice a red glow over to the Eastern side of town and school.

“Fire!” I scream at the top of my lungs.

The bus stops and I jump off and race towards the fire station.

“Hi Matt,” says the chief of the Fire Brigade.

“Sir,” I pant “There is a fire near school”

“Yikes!” he screams, dashing off

I jump onto the foot plate of a fire truck as it races off. As we get closer I notice that Kylie’s house is on fire. I sprint over. She, her mum and dad are crying.

“What’s wrong?” I ask

“My baby brother is in there!” she splutters bursting into tears.

I strip off my backpack and pull out my water bottle and scarf, tie the scarf around my mouth and wet myself all over before plunging into the fire.

I can hear her brother crying. I charge into the living room. I pull him out of his cot. As I turn around the roof collapses sending sparks flying. I struggle to my feet and race for the sagging door. I’m out.

“Matt, you have to make me breakfast and then carry my bag to the bus. It’s my day today,” Jesse says with a grin as he pulls the pillow off my head.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!