Leaving My Life

I knew in my heart that I had to go and leave my mother. To a safe country, away from the ruthless bombing that had taken away millions of innocent lives.

But I couldn’t.

Who would care for her in her frail years? Who would comfort her when she cried or laugh with her when she was joyful? Longing pleaded with me, pulled me towards my mother’s outstretched arms and she enfolded me in the lengths of her dress, tears streaming down her eyes. Sobs racked my body and I gulped for air, hugging my mother even closer, not wanting to let go.

“I love you my little blossom. Forever and always,” she whispered into my hair.

“I love you too mother. Please don’t go,” I begged her, a futile attempt to try and stay with her. A small spark of absurd hope ignited within me and was immediately extinguished when she replied:

“No darling. I want you to be safe.”

Suddenly, the rushing crowd shoved me forward and I lost my grip on my mother’s hand. Jostling forward, I slammed down onto the ground by the frantic families pushing me around. There wasn’t any pain though. Just a blank sadness seeping through me. Struggling to get up, a boot connected with the side of my head and excruciating pain seared through me, slicing like knives. Clutching the wound, tears welled up and spilled over as I stood up. Blood was spurting profusely from the wound and parents and their children started shooting me looks of pure contempt as I boarded the boat.

I felt unwanted, unloved and repulsed. What did I get out of life anyway? I put up with it just because of my mother, because I loved her with all my heart. She was the only reason I actually bothered to stay alive for. Now I was leaving her behind because of this stupid war.

Searching my mother’s face through the sea of depressed expressions, I finally spotted her. Her figure was hunched over and she looked haggard and gaunt, drained of any strength. Her features, once shining with bliss and joy were now twisted into something unrecognisable. Now, she looked like someone from the living-dead.

Spotting me, she raised a hand and blew me a kiss and I completely broke down. Collapsing onto the seat, I gave up on any hope I had of coming back. My mind stopped its battle and gave up. I couldn’t bear to think of the life I was leaving. Our lives were threaded together, a single ribbon. Cut it and it frays, splitting us apart. My mind drifted away and I succumbed to the comforting holds of sleep, glad of a distraction from my torment and my world was enveloped in black.

Life wasn’t fair.

Nothing was.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!