Fate

13th May, 2011
Dear Diary,
My name is Charlie. I am a year old bull, quite handsome if I say so myself. However, I have just heard some extremely disturbing news regarding my potential future. I am in Jeopardy!
You see, I was just romping with Angus, eating grass and chasing the attractive gals in our paddock, (Wow, they are hot?…) When I heard the old gossips in the next paddock sigh in unison, “It’s a real shame, a real shame. I shall miss them terribly?.”
As I am a young bull, full of curiosity, I wiggled my ears and strained to hear the rest of their conversation. I mean, it sounded important. Have you ever heard the saying ‘Curiosity killed the calf’? Well it could literally be true in my case!
The rest of the conversation went something like this;
Heifer 1; Don’t you hate to see them so happy yet so oblivious to their fate.
Heifer 2; I do. It really saddens and frustrates me.
Heifer 1; I ask you, why does it have to happen to them? It didn’t happen to us.
Heifer 2; That’s because we are heifers, silly, WE are useful for making babies and getting milked.
Heifer 1; Oh… Still. It really frustrates me. They are loaded into the truck one afternoon, happy and ready for an adventure. But they never return alive. All we see year after year is a brown box bearing the pitiful label ‘veal’.
Heifer 2; I am going to miss this group. Their handsome, young naïve faces, gleaning in the morning sun, is quite a sight to see.
Heifer 1; It’s a real pity the farmer doesn’t care about that. It makes me so mad.
Heifer 2; That’ true. All he cares about is his belly, pieces funny rectangular shaped green paper and those annoying squealing machines he is raising.
Heifer 2; What a sad, sad existence. It is such a waste of Potential and youth.
Heifer 1; Yeah, it is that?.
Then they trotted away, seeming to forget about the whole conversation.
All this time, I was getting more and more concerned. What did all of this mean? All the phrases were having a party in my head and I was getting more concerned and confused every time I tried to figure them out. ’ They never return alive’, ‘a brown box bearing the pitiful label ‘veal’, ’oblivious to their fate’. What IS my fate? My breathing became shallow and I began hyperventilating. What is going to ppen to us? To me? Please help me.
I want to be Charlie. NOT veal. What about the guys? I am scared out of my wits. What’s going to happen? I’m so… So young. Help. I beg you. Help me stay CHARLIE!
Love Charlie
Ps. I hope I’m still Charlie.
PPS. I AND GUS ARE HOSTING A PROTEST TOMMORROW. “CATTLE ARE FRIENDS, NOT FOOD!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!