Night At The Haunted House

“Admit it Stan. We are lost!” Stan was small for his age. He was sweet, funny and had wild brown hair and hazel eyes. Except he wasn’t so good with directions. “The street directory said to go left at Oldfield Rd and we went right”. Stan had a beautiful wife named Betty. She had bright green eyes, long pigtails and innocent freckles. She was also a little bit of a control freak. “Stan, I knew we should have turned into Parkend, it would have lead us to the lake”. Betty and Stan had recently got married, and decided to go to the lake for their honeymoon. So far it wasn’t going as planned. “Well, maybe you should have driven, Betty”, shouted Stan, with frustration in his voice. The car went silent as they drove another 2 miles, until a giant house appeared on the side of the road. It was a dark house with a light shining from the attic at the top, with overgrown vines wrapped around it. “Maybe we should pull in for directions”, Betty said in a “not so sure” voice. Stan pulled up to the driveway and parked in front of the house. They both got out and walked up to the door.
The door was unusual because the doorknocker was in the shape of a devil’s head. Stan knocked it once. Nothing happened. He knocked it twice. Still nothing. “Maybe they have gone out or something’, Stan said. They both decided to go back to the car when suddenly the door opened! They both turned around to see a small, stocky man with a black tuxedo and blazing red eyes. “You rang”, the man said in an eerie voice. “Ah, yes sir. We were wondering if you knew the way to the lake in Millbrook”, Stan said quickly. “You won’t be able to make it now. The floods happen every year in winter. The lake will be flooded and there will be nowhere to set up a tent”, said the man. The man walked away inside the house and down the hall. “May we come in”, Betty shouted. “You may”, the man said from inside. Betty and Stan both walked inside. The house was as cold as the atmosphere of a graveyard and the earth seemed to quake with each step. It has macabre wallpaper and wax covered candles, dimly lit around the hall. Suddenly the man returned with sheets and towels. “You will be staying in room 9. Enjoy your stay”. He then walked off again down the hall. “I’m sorry. I didn’t quite catch your name, sir”, said Stan. The man turned around and said, “You may call me Frank”. He then continued to walk down the hall.
“Stan, I don’t like the look of this place. It gives me the creeps”, said Betty. “Oh Betty, there is nothing to worry about, said Stan. Frank seems like a nice chap…nice enough”, Stan said with hesitation. Suddenly, a ghostly moan came from upstairs. “What was that?” Betty cried. “I don’t know. Let’s check it out”, replied Stan. Betty and Stan both tried to walk up quietly, but every step made a creaking noise.
Finally making as much noise as possible, they reached the top of the staircase. The moaning became louder and then there was a CHOP and an ARRRRRRR! Betty and Stan both looked at each other in fear. “What is happening in there”, Betty said in a scared tone. Betty and Stan walked closer to the door trying to not make a sound. There was more moaning and CHOP, CHOP, CHOP! Stan reached for the door in horror; he grabbed the handle, CHOP, CHOP, CHOP! He pushed the door open…. AHHHHHH! The cook in the kitchen had a nasty cut on her finger while cutting up carrots and was moaning continuous. “Gosh! What happened? Stan said shocked. “Well, I guess I am not so good at cutting carrots”, the cook said with happiness but sadness in her voice. “Are you going to be okay?” “I think so. Dinner should be ready in another half hour. Don’t worry about me. It just needs a Band-Aid.” Betty and Stan said bye and headed up to their rooms.
“Jeepers! I thought someone was in agony!” said Stan. “She was in agony! Did you see the cut? The knife almost cut her finger off!” Betty replied. Stan started to unpack but Betty still stood there watching. “Are you going to unpack?” asked Stan. “This house. It is very strange. The butler Frank, the cook. I don’t feel right about staying here. Not on our honeymoon of course.” “We will be fine. It’s only for one night!” “Okay. If you say so.” Dinner arrived half an hour later. It wasn’t bad. Especially by a cook with a hurt finger. It was roast beef with mushroom gravy, roast potatoes and carrots and Yorkshire pudding. For dessert it was apple pie and custard. “I’m going to brush my teeth.” “Okay.” Stan walked halfway down the hall when suddenly he heard someone talking. “But master! They were lost! I had to tell them something.” “SILENCE! I am sick of your whining! You don’t do anything right!” This voice was different. He had a gravely tone to it and had that eerie sound. Stan walked to the door to get a better listen. “We must do it tonight! They will probably be going tomorrow morning, the gravelly voice said again. “Shall I do it, master” This voice sounded familiar. It was Frank. “NO! You can’t do anything right. I will have to do it.” Stan stepped another step but then the floorboard creaked! “There is someone at the door! Go see who it is!” Suddenly Frank started walking towards the door. Scared what might happen, Stan looked for the nearest place to hide and saw an open door. He bolted down the hall and into the room. He got there just in time, when Frank came out to have a look around. Just when he popped his head out of the door, Stan realised in was in the linen press! “Nothing there, master!” Suddenly, something hard and heavy feel from the top shelve. BANG! “What the hell was that?” “I don’t know, master. I will check it out!” Scared now, Stan tried to stay still as Frank came down the hall. Suddenly, WHAM! Frank opened the first door of the hall. Nothing; just the bathroom. WHAM! The second door swung open. It was just a spare room! Knowing Frank was getting closer, Stan held his breath. He could hear his footsteps on the creaking floorboards. Closer and closer he came. Frank reached out his hand. Stan stood perfectly still. Frank’s hand touched the doorknob. He turned the handle and…”FRANK!” “Yes, master.” What’s going on?” I was looking for…” “WHO CARES WHAT IT WAS. I AM NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!” Frank let go of the handle, walked back down the hall and into the room. He then shut the door and the gravelly voice continued to shout.
“Betty. Betty. BETTY!” “Araaaaaagh!” Betty, it’s me Stan!” Betty turned the side lamp on to have a look. “Gosh! You scared me!” “Never mind. Listen, we have to go!” “What! Why?” “Well, I was walking down the hall and I heard Frank and another guy talking to each other. Frank kept calling him ‘master’. And I think they were planning something for us.” “What do you mean?” “I don’t know. But we have to go! Betty and Stan quickly packed all their belongings and quietly stepped outside. They were near the steps when…”Going somewhere?” It was Frank and he was smiling cruelly. “What are you going to do to us?” “Oh nothing. Just a little warm welcome!” Suddenly a giant figure emerged from the ceiling. It was white and looked like a GHOST! It had also a black tuxedo and had scars on his face with brown hair and blue eyes. He was also see-through like worn curtains. “Good evening you two!” Stan recognised the gravelly voice. “You’re a GHOST!” “Yes! I am the ghost of Bernard Jekylstone, once the owner of this house, and tonight….you will DIE in this house! “NEVER!” Betty and Stan ran down the stairs as fast as they could but Bernard Jekylstone was too quick. “You can run, but you can’t hide!” Stan suddenly ran though the ghost and came out the other side! “Quick, come on Betty!’ Betty ran also, but wasn’t as lucky because a ghostly chain whipped and grappled her foot and pulled her down. “STAN!” Stan had to do something. To make a distraction, Stan grabbed a photo frame of a woman in it. “NO! That’s my wife! It’s the only photo I have left”. “Let her go or I will throw it!” Bernard let go and Stan threw it at him and Frank managed to catch it. Stan grabbed Betty and ran out of the house. Betty and Stan jumped in the car and he turned the engine and started to drive out of the gates.
“Hey Betty!” “Yeah?” “Let’s go home!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!