Ocean Omen

Struggling to stay awake, I crouched on the unsteady table. it wasn't my fault I had to stay alive by sitting on an abandoned table, but who else can I blame? Among the floating ruins, nobody came to rescue us. Only the Good Ocean Omen was left on the list, well, that's what dad says.

Anyway I will explain it all to you, since I bet you are very confused. Dad had taken me on my first vacation. we were third class passengers of the gigantic liner 'Titanic'. So far, the vacation only just, had revealed its total chaos. The 'Titanic' slammed against a tremendously large iceberg. Unexpectedly the liner sunk. Dad and I fortunately escaped and clambering into a nearby, floating, upside-down table, and ever since Dad and I have been waiting for another major change to our lives.

And yes, remember I mentioned to you about the 'Ocean Omen?' Dad believes in the 'Ocean Omen', even though no-one else does. He says there are two types, a white and a black, both are mystical birds with spirits of good and bad. The white has now-white feathers which match with the blue sky and sea, and when it flies across azure blue sky and sea it is known for good luck. But the black has feathers black as tar. It leads raging storms, rapid hurricanes unpredicable winds and is obviously known for bad luck at sea.

I had a strange feeling that chances are that Bad Ocean Omen did fly across the North Atlantic, while passengers, Dad and I were happily cruising along in our luxurious ocean liner. The salty air gushed into my stiff and frozen lungs, my stomach would groan and lurch for hunger every few minutes. We had been out here for ages. I stared at the stars and moon. Blue and purple clouds floated around bright full moon. I wished that a shooting star would whiz out, so I wish Dad and me out of here. I wished the Good Ocean Omen would fly over our heads. But chances are, we wouldn't be able to even see it fly over the dark black sky.

I rub my tired eyes and realise I was still on the table raft. Dad was cooking fish on a small blaring flame ignited from a table leg. He told me it was Flying Fish that had leaped aboard while swimming near the surface. But it wasn't like I never read his fish specimen chart, and knew straight away it was disgusting tuna cut into small pieces. For the rest of the morning we sat back-to-back on the table letting it take us where currents were heading.

Suddenly above the horizon, a white bird flew. No doubt it was the Good Ocean Omen. Its pretty wings spread across azure blue sky. Then, dad saw it too, his expression changed to a happy face, he took out his portable telescope and adjusted it. Soon the Good Ocean Omen was clearly out of sight. In the distance fins sliced swiftly through the calm lapping waves. This wasn't good luck. It was definately bad! Sharks! Our table was defenceless. Dad soon noticed too, and turned pale. All of a sudden, the fins leaped out of the water and dived back in. They did this a couple of times till they reached us. They were dolphins! Dad and I were confused, but anyway we grabbed their fins and let them take us where they wanted.

After a while we reached an island. I was glad that I was back on my feet. There were crater-top mountains and thick forests. We explored the island. By midday we discovered a village and their tribe leader welcomed us to stay. We helped on their farms and they fed us well in return, also I learnt some of their native language. All was well till one day came.....

People with white skin like Dad and i came, they settled in the land with no permission. So they declared a war. The settlers seemed familiar to Dad and I. Soon the war began, spears and bullets were everywhere. Dad took me to a safe spot and he left. There I watched the war raging past me. Dad was trying his best to stop the war going on. another man was trying as well. He wore expensive clothes and looked like the Captain. he gave orders, but nobody listened.

Suddenly a bullet struck Dad, he collapsed to the ground.

I ran out from the hiding spot and stopped the war. The tribe knew me so they stopped. The settlers spoke English like me. I interpreted for the two leaders and the settlers chose to leave and I chose to move on.

I went and crouched down beside Dad. He gripped me tight and whispered, 'Son, take this,' he pushed his old portable telescope that he used to watch Ocean Omens,into my arms. 'Pass it on, I love you.' And he never spoke again. I buried Dad under a willow tree and beside a bank. He loved to fish in rivers beside willow trees, so I decided to bury him there. I dragged a stone to the tree and fixed it into the soil and engraved on it, 'Beneath soil and willow is the remains of a person I'll forever call Dad.' I read it again and again. i burst into tears. I sobbed over the grae for a long time. I stood up and walked away. I missed Dad very much. I looked at the grave once more and felt the courage to continue the adventure back home, with Captain... James Cook.

I boarded his ship at the bay called the 'Endeavour'. Along the way the crew sang songs, we helped repair the ship sometimes and I was very much included. Time to time, though I did think about Dad when I did chores on starboard.

At last I arrived back in England. As soon as the ship was tied to the harbour, all was familiar and it came back to me all at once. I ran free and wild to where I thought my house was. The door was unlocked so I barged in. I saw Mum. She was also shocked. We hugged each other for a long time. Captain James Cook saw me run off and followed me. He introduced me to two adults and then they shook each other warmly. I was finally home and everyone was happy. I watched the sea from my bedroom Its calm waves rocked the boats into harbour. It was late afternoon and the sun was slowly setting. Bright red and orange lights marked the angle of the sun. Then I noticed a white figure spread its delicate wing across the sky. I got out my telescope to see it. I smiled, I was home where's there's no better place to be!









FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!