The First Move

Laura was alone. And you’re probably thinking she was a nerd. But no, she was a normal kid like you and me.
It all started two weeks ago, at her new school, Dewberry Public. She had made no friends at all. Plus she was bullied all the time. “Look at the nerdy newbie.” “Nerdy Laura” Wimp”. It had been no different from her old school, Harrington Public.
Young Laura lived with her parents, Peter and Molly. They were her only friends. But they were not good enough, she needed a real friend.
One day, probably three weeks in to her new school, her dream came true. She met a friend. Her name was Kate. Kate was a young, energetic dancer who loved writing, just like Laura.
Kate and Laura had finally realised something that every key friendship needed, a play date. Kate, with all her dancing, had no time to have one. “Maybe on Monday?” Laura would always ask. But Kate in a kind voice would always reply “Sorry BFF, got dancing.”
Finally Laura knew that she had to do something. She didn’t know what it was but she needed to know. Like every kid would do, Laura ran up to her mother.
“Mum, what would you do if your friend was too busy for a play date?” asked Laura waiting for an answer.
“Well sweetie, what does your friend do to be so busy?” questioned Molly.
“She does dancing, I wish I could do it,” replied Laura, imagining Kate doing her Ballet routine.
“You just answered your own question, do dancing with Kate!” exclaimed Molly with a big smile on her face.
The next day Laura and Kate walked to dancing together. Giving a nudge on the shoulder Kate said “Want to come over?”
Laura so excited screamed out “Sure!”
Laura and Kate really enjoyed the lesson together learning new steps and Laura learning the first move of their new dance routine.
Laura’s mum accepted the play date so Laura and Kate had a lovely time together. And when Laura had her first dance concert together she had perfected and practiced one step, her first move.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!