Thanks For The Memories

The hall was empty and the sound of my footsteps echoed around the walls. Invisible sound waves rippled across pictures of my friends, my teachers, my heroes. The Australian and Aboriginal flags hung on the stage, limp and dull. The chairs of the school leaders were empty in front of them, the assembly stand illuminated by the weak stage lights.
The piano leant up against the wall, its golden frame shining in the minuscule amount of sunlight streaming past the edges of the blinds covering the windows. I sat down on the padded chair and rested my palms on the keys, stroking them with my fingertips. I could remember so many moments when Matt took Kevin’s place in playing the National Anthem on Fridays, receiving pats on the back as he made his way down to the piano.
I stood and went to the polished wooden floor where I sat at assemblies throughout the two years I’d spent in this school. I could remember the songs we sang like ‘Daisy Bell’ and ‘Don Gato’, laughing as my peers made up actions. The screen for the projector was stretched out on the stage even now, the projector left on it’s stand carelessly. Harrison always kept it working, receiving many compliments from everyone.
Then I ran up onto the stage and faced the rest of the hall. I had been there so many times, whether it was for awards or school performances. I’d watched my friends enjoy themselves when they won awards and laughed up on the stairs, smiling and throwing high fives at each other.
Outside of the windows there were shouts of glee and happiness from the freed students of younger years, suddenly released from the walls of the school. Smiling faces were all around, but still the hall was empty.
“I’m not ready to leave it all behind, yet.” Charlotte’s voice echoed like my footsteps from the doorway, “I know how you feel.”
“I just want to know everyone so much better before we go off to high school..."” I whispered to her, smiling sadly.
“Come on, let’s get out of here.” Alhana said, appearing beside her.
I looked at the pictures once again, faces screaming at me to stay with them, stay forever. Yet there were so many faces that were still enjoying all the activities to offer. Kindergarteners and Year 5s still had so many years more.
“Bree, are you OK?” Katherine’s voice asked questioningly. Charlotte and Alhana were squished in the doorway behind her.
I took their hands and left the hall and walked down the stairs, out into the playground. Alhana, Katherine and Charlotte each walked through the green gates of the place we had spent so many days together, weeks on end.
I looked back and smiled, thinking of something to say for the place that I had learnt in and enjoyed.
‘Thanks for the memories. I will never forget them.’
Then I walked out and remembered, keeping the memories and enjoying them time after time.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!