Jane

She wasnÆt supposed to feel this way. ThatÆs what she told herself the day she abandoned her baby. But now, here Allison stood under the large peppercorn tree, her blue eyes watching her baby girl dance with the wind. It made her chest ache, knowing that her baby girl will never know her. But Allison had no choice; she couldnÆt raise a child by herself. Allison was dying. It didnÆt bother her, the knowledge that every passing day her life was slowly fading away. Allison was young, but content. In her last few years of life, she was given the most extraordinary gift; a beautiful baby girl with big blue eyes and chestnut coloured hair. She loved her daughter more than anything, but that cold snowy night made Allison realise that she couldnÆt care for herself while raising an infant. So she left her precious child on a doorstep of a red-brick house. She sincerely hoped that the owners of the house were loving and peaceful people. She wanted the best future for her baby. Even today, Allison doesnÆt know what goes on behind the closed doors of her daughterÆs new home. But her baby was smiling, so that meant something. Allison turned around to leave, but a stick cracked under the pressure of her foot. Allison froze in panic. Did she hear? Was her baby going to stop dancing happily and look up at the stranger? Suddenly nervous, Allison glanced over her shoulder and came face-to-face with her daughter large blue eyes. Allison quickly tried to swallow the lump that formed in her throat, but it wouldnÆt go away. The world was frozen; all Allison could see was her little girl, staring up at her with curious eyes. Everything else was forgotten. ôHello,ö Allison finally mustered the courage to speak up and greet her little girl. Her daughter blinked and then smiled, showing her little white teeth. ôHello,ö the girl greeted in return. Silence enveloped them as they continued to stare at each other. Finally, the little girl spoke again. ôWhy donÆt you have hair?ö Tears formed in AllisonÆs eyes and she knelt down to come to eye-level with her baby. Allison didnÆt know what to say. How could she tell a five-year-old that she was dying? That in a few months she might not even be here anymore? ôI grew tired of my hair,ö Allison finally muttered as tears started flowing down her cheeks. Her daughter cocked her head to the side. ôIs hair bad?ö ôNo,ö Allison choked, ôhair is nice. I like your hair, itÆs beautiful and shiny.ö The little girl smiled. ôMama says that too!ö ôIs your mama good to you?ö Allison asked. The little girl nodded. ôAnd Papa?ö The little girl nodded again. Allison smiled in-between her tears. ôLittle girl, what is your name?ö ôJane,ö the little girl replied. Allison wanted to speak, but Jane was called inside by her adopted mother. Jane waved goodbye, then skipped away, leaving Allison all alone, but content.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!