Killer Summer

"Oi! Get me another beer! Now!"
Mary's husband, Pete, yelled. He wasn't one for patience, and now that it was the football season, Mary was at her husband's beck and call. Not that that was unusual. She muttered to herself, her mind in turmoil, as she gathered the beer and salted nuts that Pete would scream at her for forgetting. As she stepped into the room, the TV screen being the only source of light, Mary curled her lip in disgust at the sight of Pete. With his big beer gut, balding head and foul attitude, she couldn't believe she'd ever fallen for him. Mary held out Pete's food, and was upset by the normal dismissal. He didn't even bother to grunt a 'thank you'. She walked out of the room, the sounds of the cheering fans mocking her sorry life.

Mary re-entered the room, and was greeted with silence. The game had ended hours ago; it was nearly dinner time. Yet Pete still hadn't moved from his spot, salted nuts all over himself and the chair, post-game cigarette dangling limply from his hand, still alight. "That could cause a fire," Mary thought with a frown. Suddenly she got and idea! A marvellous, cunning, wicked idea! She went over to her snoring husband and gently eased the cigarette from his limp hand. Then, using the lighter beside her on the table, she re-lit it, placing it on a stack of paper. Quickly, she gathered her money in her purse, and walked calmly but quickly to the door and down the street towards the produce market and general store. "Hi!" she greeted Sam, the shopkeeper. “I'll have a can of peas, a can of corn and some potatoes. I'm making Pete soup." Sam smiled at his old friend and went out back to get her order. As he came back, a mighty big red fire truck roared down the street, stopping in front of Mary's house, where thick grey smoke was belching out into the late evening sky. Sam gasped, horrified, and pointed it out to Mary. "Mary! Your house!" Mary gasped in fake surprise as Sam led her outside, locking up, and down to the house. It was horrific. The entire house was cocooned by flames that reached high into the sky. "M-my house!" she stammered. A grim faced fire fighter walked up to her, and gestured to the house. "Was there anyone else in there?" he asked, concern lining his face. "My husband..." then she burst into real, heart breaking sobs. All her possessions. Some of them had been so expensive. At least she had the insurance. The fireman misunderstood her tears and patted her shoulder in an attempt to comfort her.
"There, there. I'm sorry, but he's gone to a better place." Inwardly Mary sneered. Pete? That silly old fool. He'd gotten what he'd deserved. And now, with all that insurance money, Mary was free to start her life over again. Without him. She looked up at the handsome fireman, and smiled.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!