Race To Glory

Amy walked down the rows of stalls in one of the racing barns, her red hair flowed behind her in the breeze. Amy stopped outside one of the green meadows stalls and brought out a big, prancing, black, thoroughbred gelding.
“Oh hold still midnight, Sarah is getting ready for the big race and I still have to brush you.” Amy said calmly
After Amy finished grooming and saddling midnight ride she led him out to the walking ring where the jockeys mounted their horses.
“Good luck Sarah.” Amy said as Sarah mounted
“Thanks.” Sarah smiled and was led to the starting gates. Amy hurried to the stands to join her father and to watch the race. Midnight ride was the last ones to be loaded into the gate, midnight stood quietly in the gates, Sarah could feel midnight tensing up. The horn rang; the gates flew open, the horses burst out and galloped onto the field.
“Come on midnight, I know you can do it.” Amy whispered for up in the stands.
“He’s doing great.” Amy’s dad said leaning next to her.
Sarah steered midnight into the middle of the pack of horses as they were coming up to the half way mark.
“Come on midnight let’s take it up a notch.” Sarah leaned a little forward asking for speed.
Midnight ride complied instantly, quickening his strides he over took four horses in front of him, making his way to second place.
“Atta boy.” Sarah patted his neck as they turned down the straight to the finishing line.
“Wow, a beautiful over take from midnight ride ridden by Sarah dabmen.” The announcer continued “only one chance and midnight ride is in neck and neck for a dash to the finishing line, but oh wait midnight ride is making his move.”
Sarah gave midnight more rein and leaned more forward, midnight started to sprint for the finishing line leaving only chance two strides behind him.
“And its official midnight ride and Sarah debmen are the winners of the open yearling cup!” the announcer exclaimed
Amy and her dad were jumping up and down “he won, he won!” they both cried, making their way down to the winner circle.
Midnight proudly threw up his head and whinnied to Amy as he and Sarah entered the winner circle with a rug, rosette and sash on his bridle, neck and back, Sarah was holding a large cup and a large, red, rose bouquet
Sarah, Amy, her dad and midnight ride posed for their photos in the winner circle, surrounded by photographers and reporters.
“Oh midnight you clever boy!” Amy said, midnight lowered his head into Amy’s arms and closed his eyes in pleasure.
“That’s a great shot!” one of the photographers exclaimed and the cameras started to flash again.
“I hope you’re getting use to this midnight ride cause we’ll be in here a lot.” Amy giggled, stroking midnight’s nose and lead him back to his stall to go back home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!