Water Rush

Driving down the narrow strip of road, the rain pelted down on the car’s windscreen. Looking at my wife, Jennifer, while I drove and my 6 year old son Jack, I thought how lucky I was to have such a beautiful family. We were driving back from a friend’s party, and Jack couldn’t stop chatting away about it. I smiled at my wife as she brushed her thick black hair from her eyes. Slowing down the car, I came to a bridge with shallow water across it. It had been raining for days on end; I was surprised no other roads had been flooded.
“Go slowly-“, Jennifer said cautiously.
My foot slowly eased onto the accelerator as we crossed the bridge at a steady pace. I could feel the water slightly pulling at the car. Half-way over I felt Jack tugging at my black shirt.
“What is it Jack-jack?”
“Lots of water coming…….” He said in fright.
Jennifer starting screaming as I looked out her window, a wall of murky water was rushing towards us. Before I could react in time the water slammed into the side of the car with a ‘thud’! Jack screamed a high pitch squeal. Spinning down the vast stream of water I told Jennifer and Jack to remove their seatbelts. Once the car had gradually stopped spinning, I opened my window, told my wife and son to do the same and slowly climbed out the window onto the roof as the car was starting to become inundated.

The squeaking of the windscreen wipers rung in my ears as I helped Jack and Jennifer out onto the roof with me. For the next 20-30 minutes we held on for dear life as the car was thrashed around in the brown murky water. That’s when everything turned for the worse. Whilst Jennifer was calling triple zero constantly, I started to notice something gut-wrenching. Either the water was rising, or the car was sinking. The water was lapping up onto the roof as I held onto Jack as he blubbered away.

All of a sudden the car tipped, and we all went splashing into the raging water current. My head went under as I was holding onto Jack. Clawing desperately to get to the surface I thought, “Where’s Jennifer?” Air gushed down my lungs as I reached the surface with Jack, our eyes stinging. I looked around and screamed, “JENNIFER!” I kept yelling desperately, and every time water rushed down my mouth trying to drown me. Jack was clinging to me like a baby Koala and was bawling his eyes out as I tried to grab a piece of debris to keep afloat.

Up ahead was the top of a gumtree, with a person clinging on. We swept closer and I noticed the woman holding onto a branch with her black hair draped across her face. It was my wife Jennifer!
“Hold on Jack-jack!” I yelled as I grabbed onto a branch. Emotions were running high as I was reunited with my wonderful family. I handed Jack to his mother as I was exhausted. My limbs were aching with also my lungs stinging from inhaling water.
“I thought I had lost you!” I said, my lower lip trembling.
“I love you so much!” she replied as I noticed a sickening gash on her head. It was heart renching seeing her hurt, but at least she’s alive. I looked around at the vast amount of water and debris swirling past. It seemed that we were in a paddock as there was a little red barn submerged to its roof. Suddenly I hear a slow cracking sound, and I move backwards slowly. Confused, I look at the tree and then my wife. At first I thought it was her branch that her and Jack were holding onto that was snapping. I was wrong, oh so wrong.
“Quick hold my hand and come over this side!” Jennifer was pleading me. Soon after, I quickly realised that it was MY branch that was giving way. The branch was slippery and as I reached for my wife, I heard a helicopter overhead. We were saved at last; there was a loud snap and I fell into the water, my hands slipping between my wife’s fingers.
Everything was black as I was whipped through the water with increasing speed. My lungs were burning, about to burst as my hands scrambled and legs kicked in fury to get to the surface. I finally broke through, gasping for air. I heard a blood curdling scream and saw a chopper rescuing my son and wife.
“No! My husband! Save him please!”

That was the last I heard of her shrieking, calling my name as I was sucked back into the depths of the swirling water. I was absolutely terrified, knowing I wouldn’t be seeing my family again. I came to terms that things weren’t looking too good for me. As I struggled to breathe, I was pulled back under again. I was absolutely exhausted and with every movement of my limbs it was agonising. I thought to myself, if I don’t make it at least my family is safe. It was heart wrenching thinking I might not see my Jack-jack grow up into a big, strong boy.

I went up for another breathe and saw a dinged up white car hurdling towards me at a tremendous speed. With my clothes weighing me down, exhaustion took over. The car hurdled into my body and I yelped, then everything went black.


“Mummy, when’s Daddy coming home?” Jack still didn’t understand what had happened over the past few days. Jennifer’s eyes were blood shot from crying as she whispered to her son,
“Your Daddy loved you very much you know that. He has gone to heaven with the angels. He is so proud of you Jack-jack. Don’t you ever forget that.”
Jennifer held her son close as they both sobbed, knowing he wouldn’t be coming back for them.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!