Pain

I held the paper with my finger and thumb, steeling myself in readiness for the inevitable. About to rip the paper, I hesitated. Did I really want to let go of something so dear to me? But in my heart I knew I must. The counselor I didn’t want was, unfortunately, right. I had to let go, to get rid of this letter. It was the first step to getting rid of my pain. I ripped the paper, tearing it into shreds, before flinging the pieces out into the rain. They drifted, fluttering in the wind, over the edge of the balcony and into the waiting rain. They were buffeted, thrown around and around, whirling through the sky. Further and further away they drifted, dotting the sky with white. My eyes followed their progress until the last one became no more than the tiniest speck on the horizon and it, too, faded away. I stared out into the rain, my tears mingling with the tears of the sky and for some time it seemed as if the clouds were crying just for me.

Slowly, gradually, the rain ceased, and with it went my tears. Now I was left, all alone, with a deeper sadness, one threatening to overwhelm me. Sliding to the floor, I hunched my body up, curling into to a ball as if looking smaller would make God take pity on me and take away my pain. No such luck. I didn’t think I believed in God anyway. What did it matter whether there was some giant in the sky staring down on me and criticizing my mistakes? There were too many mistakes to even bother trying to put right. So stuff that, and stuff God.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!