He’s A Friend In Need, A Friend Indeed.


The first time I saw him, I thought ‘Damn, that’s a nice colour!’ He reminded me of a rainy day in spring drizzling heavily on a forgotten lawn. We never knew who he belonged to, but what we did know, was that whoever he’d dwelt with before, didn’t want him now.
The first time we met, I knew we had a connection. It’s not like first love - but more like an inevitable friendship. I guess you could call it fate too. He was being dropped off by a truck and didn’t look very comfortable, but after plonking down onto the dusty ground, he seemed content enough, almost peaceful.
So, I approached him. His arms attached to an elongated body flapped restlessly as the truck rumbled away. I couldn’t really tell whether or not he’d been smiling, nor was I, nevertheless, a spark had ignited. Moments passed as we stared at each other.
I believe I’m a happy person with no worries however, within his company, a new side of me opened up to him. My loneliness was exposed, but only to him. He had a way of just sitting there and listening. He didn’t need to reply. Like a real friend, he gave me a shoulder to lean on.
Thus, started our riveting and simple friendship.
After meeting him everyday for a month, our conversations had started to waver and eventually ran downhill. I ran out of things to say and he had the initiative to start another. Well, not like he could. I felt his loneliness too. A major problem was that our relationship was only one-sided. I always came to him, but the gesture was never reciprocated. It may take two to tango, but I know I’m flexible enough.
I loved leaning against him. Sometimes on hot afternoons, I’d doze off then awaken, still against him. Sometimes we’d train each other by boxing with each other. It was not only ‘till our tenth fight, did I notice that he’d start to sag. To the extent that he couldn’t be revived. I asked mum how I could help him recover. She told me to stop going to him, that I was wasting my time with him. She didn’t understand, no-one ever will.
We’re still good friends. But, it’s been a week since I’ve seen him. I last saw him, when he was being put into another car. He’s quite big, so he couldn’t really fit in the back seat. I stared out to him from our usual spot; he waved his arms as he sped off into the distance. He’s the first friend I’ve cried for. From then onwards, I’ve made new friends like Eddie and Gron for example. But I’ll never forget him, that green old couch, he was.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!