Man And His Dog


Once upon a time there was a beautiful house that had a bright colourful garden with magnificent smelling flowers that scented the fresh air giving it a beautiful energy when smelled by general public walking past. In the house there lived an old man with creaky bones that sounded like rusty clockwork and skin as white as the vivid clouds in the spring sky. His name was Charles. Charles had a loving dog by the name of Le Roy who loved hanging his head over the old blue gate seeking as much attention possible. Le Roy was a large German Sheppard full of adoring mischievous character.
Every summer morning they would sit on the old painted deck out the front his house by the beautiful garden. Le Roy would chase the dancing blue butterflies that flew to each bright orange flower. On the rare occasion Le Roy would catch one in the front of his pointy teeth and in a split second would sneeze it out again. This would arise a large chuckle in the back of Charles’s throat.
Every winter night they would light the small vintage wood fire, drinking hot tea and eating their piping hot dinner. Both would slurp up every remaining drop of their tea and chew every last piece of food on their plates. Le Roy would always fall asleep in his holey but beloved bed right beside Charles’s single bed in his white lonely room.
Every autumn day Le Roy and Charles spent their lunch times going for slow strolls through the naked trees as Le Roy would run around in circles unsettling the red and orange leaves on the sunset coloured ground. Sometimes Charles stopped to rest against the rough brown bark so he could catch his breath. Le Roy would stop too, and sit staring right back at Charles with his dark brown shiny eyes. Charles would have a little giggle to himself to then continue his walk with his beautiful friend.
Back in spring they would eat the steaming hot dogs from the busy stall sitting uncomfortably under the bright red and white umbrella, shielding the sun from the hungry customers. Then Charles and Le Roy would go and sit down on the old wooden benches placed by the beach. They would sit there soaking in all the smells, tastes and feel of the salty sea breeze drifting by. Children would stop and gather around them as they walked past so that they could pat and talk to Le Roy. They all adored him, and Charles loved being surrounded by the laughing smiley children that were as happy as could be. Le Roy was so good with the children and would never snarl, or growl, or bite, or even show his teeth at them. Instead, when they hung their hands down toward his greying head he would sit up high and push his head lovingly into their tiny sweaty hands. They would laugh and carry on but neither of them minded.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!