Terror Of The Unimaginable

'Blood curdling screams filled the night as Jenny ran for cover.' I was sitting on the garden bench reading Monster Island, when I felt a hard knock on my head. I went to turn around to see what had happened but before I could do so a colourful tornado reached out of the book and sucked me in. A pounding spread through my head and blackness surrounded me.

I landed with a thump on firm ground and felt the wind blowing through my golden locks. I opened my eyes and saw that I was in a woodland with a stony path stretching out as far as the eye could see. I went to have a look around and spotted a small track that curved off the main path. I decided to follow it. I walked for about fifteen minutes before I reached a grassy meadow. It was nice to feel soft, lush grass beneath my feet instead of those sharp edged stones. A low growl from behind me woke me from my thoughts. I turned to look while taking off the only weapon I had, my belt. I saw a giant spider. “Wh...who...ar...are you and what do you want with me,” I stuttered. I reminded myself that spiders couldn’t talk and thought myself stupid. “I am a Nightmare Changeling and I want to eat you,” the low gruff voice answered. I stared in disbelief, had that spider just spoken?

I slapped him with my belt but it seemed to do nothing. I heard more growls and it dawned on me that there was more than one monster here. Monsters, all different shapes and sizes started surrounding me. I could see their blood stained teeth with bits of flesh stuck between them. There was an ear piercing screech from above. I looked up and saw golden scales swooping down. The giant creature landed beside me. I was paralysed by fear and my mouth was open in a silent scream. Fear gripped me as tight as a mother would if her baby was to be taken. My eyes felt like they were going to pop. As quickly as the adventure had begun I thought it was going to finish. The creature picked me up with its claw like talons and popped me in its gaping hole of a mouth. I slid down its throat and landed on a pile of what I thought was bones.

I was thinking would I die from lack of food, or would the monster chew me to shreds? However, I told myself to think positive, although I doubted anything about this was good. Suddenly I felt ice cold water drench my face, and found myself sitting on our garden bench at home with a worried looking Mum next to me.

“What happened?” I asked her, with a dumbfounded look on my face.

“You passed out when your brother’s football hit you in the head,” she answered.

I realised it was all just a dream.


Lily Dickenson
Age 9
11 Knees Road, Park Orchards 3114
Grade 4
St Anne's Primary School, Park Orchards

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!