Closer To The Edge

Excellence Award in the 'Legendary 2012' competition

The red raft struggled against the rapid waves of the Tsailam Sea. The tempestuous storm surrounded the island, causing Daniel and his friends, Lisa and James, to gasp in fear. They held onto the handles of the raft tightly with the hope that the storm would subside. It was only a small raft, not built to withstand such cruel conditions and life jackets they wore did not make them feel any safer. The three of them felt increasingly useless against the churning waves that continued to gather in strength and were beginning to cave in on them.
What had begun as a tranquil cruise around the island had transpired into an unprecedented debacle. “You said this was going to be an awesome trip!” Daniel yelled, feeling frustrated and experiencing the need to blame the dire situation on someone.
“Mate, I never knew it was going to be this bad.” James reputed with frustration.
Daniel rolled his eyes. He knew Thailand was a bad idea.
However, both of them were smart enough to understand that fighting wasn’t going to resolve the issue at hand. They need to think of something. Up ahead, a floating branch suddenly disappeared, as if there was a steep hole in the sea. Daniel gasped, struggling to catch his breath. If they didn’t act now, their raft would be the next branch to disappear!
“Quick! We need to use the oars!” James and Lisa quickly grasped the oars, rowing it the other way in an attempt to change the raft’s direction but their efforts were futile against the strong current. SSSSNNNAAAAP. Lisa’s oar flung itself from her grasp, as it had crashed against a sharp rock, and was now broken into splinters floating on the ocean’s surface. She gave Daniel and James a desperate look. “We’re doomed,” she whispered before the hostile sea gave way.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!