Scarlet And Her Horses

There is a girl who lives in Sunny Valley. She is small and pretty, and her name is Scarlet. Scarlet is a happy girl, and she loves to dance. She loves to cook, and her favourite meal is spaghetti bolognaise. Her best friends are Olivia and Bella. The three of them go to school together. Most of all, she loves to play outside with her horses Lolly and Ralphie. Ralphie is a father horse, and Lolly is a foal. Lolly got her name because she is sweet as a lolly! She also had another horse called Rosie. Rosie was a beautiful horse. She was tall and black, with a long shiny grey mane. She had a diamond shaped white patch on her forehead. Scarlet loved her more than anything else. Rosie had been the mother horse, but she had died. The day Rosie died, Scarlet was very sad.

* 3 months later *

Scarlet lay in the soft long grass, and a tear came down her face. “I miss Rosie,” she said to herself. Her mum and dad were watching from the door.
“Poor Scarlet,” said dad. “She looks sad,” said mum. “I think it’s time,” said dad. “I think so too,” agreed Scarlet’s mum.
“Come Scarlet”, mum said. “We are going somewhere secret.”
“Ok,” said Scarlet, with a sad look on her face. She didn’t really feel like going anywhere.
15 minutes later, they arrived at the stables. They walked inside, and Scarlet said “Look mum, that one looks like Rosie!”
“Yes, she does.” replied mum “And guess who she belongs to now?”
“Us!!!” shouted scarlet excitedly. “Thank you mummy and daddy, I love you! This is the best thing ever!”

Scarlet decided to name her Shadow, because, just like Rosie, she was tall and black with a beautiful grey mane. Unlike Rosie however, Shadow did not have a white patch on her forehead.
Scarlet was over the moon. She popped her red saddle on her back, and started to ride. As they got a little further, Shadow began to gallop. When they returned, Scarlet said to her parents “Shadow trots very carefully – just like Rosie used to!”

Not everyone was happy about Shadow though. Lolly began to get jealous that Shadow was getting all of Scarlet’s attention. Lolly jumped over the fence, and began to run. Scarlet was sitting inside with her parents.
“Mum, Dad, look! Lolly’s running away! Oh no!”
“Oh no!” replied her parents. “Stay here!” they said to Scarlet.
The two of them ran outside, quickly climbed onto their horses, and followed Lolly.
Scarlet sat inside patiently, but she was very worried. “I hope they bring Lolly home safely” she thought to herself.
Luckily, her parents found Lolly in the woods, and brought her home safely. From then on, Scarlet made sure to pay just as much attention to Lolly and Ralphie as Shadow.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!