The Enchanted Wood


“The Faraway Tree is always there. We never, never know what land is going to be at the top.”

Long long ago in a poor part of the town was a little cottage. There lived a very happy couple who had just witnessed a beautiful miracle. Their baby girl, Lucy was just brought into the world.
Many years later on Lucy’s 16th birthday she was given the gift to go see her Grandma Wendy who she hadn’t seen since she was four. Once Wendy was reunited with her Granddaughter she gave her a tour of the great, big, mansion she called home. Wendy has lived by herself ever since her husband passed away 3 years ago. When Wendy arrived at a very unusual door she wrapped her hand around the knob and pushed open the door, she entered a magnificent library full of old books. While Lucy was admiring all these books she came across a very old, black, book sitting on a stand. Lucy went to grab the book but her Grandma panicked and yelled, “No dear, don’t touch that book!” Wendy dragged Lucy out of the room, slamming the door behind her.
Later, when Lucy settled into bed she couldn’t fall asleep with her mind filled with thoughts about that book. At 4:00am, Lucy was still lying there curiously thinking about that book. Eventually Lucy could not resist he book. She pulled herself out of bed and tip-toed to the library. Once she reached the unusual door she walked inside and once again, came across the black book sitting on the stand. Lucy reached for the book with joy.
As she touched the book she felt a little shock. Finally, Lucy using all her strength opened the book. As she turned the page she saw the title of the book. It was called ‘The Enchanted Wood.’ Lucy could not hold in her excitement knowing the title of the book. Once she had finished looking at the title she started on chapter one, reading it aloud. Lucy knew she could not read very loud because of her Grandma, she whispered quietly, relishing the story. Lucy thought, why would Grandma prohibit me from reading this? It is perfectly fine. Lucy came across a magical character called Moonface. How exciting this character was. He had a big round head and wonderful friends. She read “Hey! What will the little girl say when we tell her about The Enchanted Wood and The Faraway Tree? What will she say when we show her our friends, Silky, Moonface and Saucepan Man.” As she finished the sixth chapter, Lucy started to feel things move. Words from the book started to appear in the library. Lucy stood there in shock, frozen. She sprinted towards the door trying to get out, but it was locked. At this time there was a great, big golden hole that all the books in the library were getting sucked into. Lucy’s legs started to pull towards the hole. Lucy was holding onto the door handle trying not to let go, but she couldn’t hold on any longer. Lucy gave in and was sucked into the hole screaming “Nooooo!”
Suddenly, Lucy appeared in what seemed to be woods. Lucy, holding the book, was still in shock, started to explore the woods. She started to notice certain things she thought she had seen before. Lucy saw extraordinary mushrooms, bigger than her, with pink spots. She even saw a bush growing lollipops. Then Lucy realised, she had gone into the book, she was in ‘The Enchanted Wood.’ Lucy felt as though she didn’t have a care in the world, she loved it there! When she was licking lollipops something caught her eye. It was a little man carrying a big piece of fruit. He was followed by a bunch of other little men who were also carrying big fruit. Lucy followed the little men. They were heading towards a big tree. Lucy thought to herself, OMG, could this be ‘The Magic Faraway Tree?’
Lucy could not believe her eyes! She leaped up the tree like a frog. Climbing the tree she passed lots of doors and windows. All of a sudden Lucy spotted a big gush of water coming down the tree. Lucy quickly moved out of the way yelling “Wow, what was that?” She stumbled upon an old man sitting out front of his house. She pleasantly asked the man “What’s your name?” The old man, not too pleased to see Lucy, slammed the door in her face and pulled all the blinds down on the windows. Lucy, not worrying about what had just happened, continued to climb further up the tree. She came across an ordinary door.
Curious about what was inside, Lucy opened the door and ran into a man. She looked up and saw a big, round head. She yelled “Oh Moonface, it is you!” After a while Lucy told Moonface everything that had happened, including the water coming down the tree. Moonface told her about the tree and explained that the water was just Miss Washalot’s laundry water coming down. Later he mentioned to her about how every two days there was a new world at the top of the tree. The new worlds were up the ladder going through the clouds at the top of the tree. He explained that the world that was there at present was called The Land of Spells.
Lucy was so excited, she wanted to go up there so badly. Before they could go up there Moonface wanted to introduce her to his friends. He introduced her to Silky the Fairy and his other friend Saucepan Man. Saucepan Man of course, loved to collect saucepans, he was covered in them. As for Silky, she was such a wonderful and pretty fairy. Moonface said, “Right, ready to go to The Land of Spells?”
“Finally!” Lucy said with relief. They all climbed through the ladder in the clouds going into a new world. The Land of Spells was filled with witches, wands and black cauldrons. They walked over to a little house with two witches and a big, black cauldron.
As Lucy and her friends walked into the house they could see the witches throwing ingredients into the pot, and casting spells. Lucy asked, “What’s your name?” They grabbed Lucy’s collar and chucked her inside. They asked “What’s that black book you’ve got in your hand?” “It’s my ticket out of here and you’re not getting it!” Lucy replied. One of the witches snatched the book and started casting a spell on Lucy. With Lucy’s friends still outside she was worried what was going to happen. The witch started saying funny words, and all of a sudden, there was a big bang! Lucy tried to speak but all that came out was “Ribbit.” Lucy had been turned into a frog. All her friends gasped. “We have to turn her back!” said Moonface. Moonface, Silky and Saucepan worked out a plan. They were going to steal the witches’ spell book, read out a spell to turn Lucy human and get Lucy’s book back. The plan actually succeeded with Lucy’s book in their hand. Lucy returned human form and they all climbed back down the ladder. They arrived back at Moonface’s house.
Moonface gave Lucy a tour of his house and showed her a special slippery dip. This slippery dip went all the way to the bottom of the tree. The next day a new world had come to the top of the tree: The Land of Goodies.
They went up to the new world. Oh, how wonderful this world was. It was covered with lollies and cakes. Lucy was so excited to eat all of these. First she ate some Turkish Delights and followed by that was an Apple Pie. She ate nearly everything possible in that land. Lucy came out of that land with a big tummy. Lucy felt as though she had had enough of The Enchanted Wood. She had experienced getting a big tummy and getting turned into a frog by a witch.
So, they all slip down the special slippery dip. Lucy said “Goodbye everyone, I will miss you all so much. I will visit.”
They all said “Goodbye Lucy”
She then read herself back out of the book.
Lucy arrived at her Grandma’s house. It was still night time. Lucy hopped back into bed. Lucy dreamed of going back in the book some day. And her next trip to her Grandma’s, that’s exactly what she did.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!