The Flow Of Music

Taking a deep breath, Sean sat on his stool and placed his fingers on the keys. The audience was quiet and he was the spotlight. Sean allowed his fingers to run freely on the piano keys, as he closed his eyes. The music was simply melodic, uplifting and beautiful. His fingers danced on the black and white keys, under the spotlight. As the song progressed onto the next section, Sean’s heart began beating faster and faster. Sean started visualising himself playing at home, where he felt more relaxed. He was going to play the hardest song that was ever to be composed. It was just him and the piano. From one side of the piano to the other, Sean’s fingers jumped from key to key. As the song reached a crescendo, his fingers smashed and banged against the piano keys.

Suddenly, random notes on the piano were replacing harmonic music, as Sean’s fingers gradually stiffened. Opening his eyes, Sean made a concerned look at his fingers. Why weren’t they doing what he wanted them to do?
The audience began booing loudly. How simply embarrassing it was, to be sitting on the stool playing the wrong keys on the piano. Tears flooded Sean’s eyes; he did not understand why his fingers were going the opposite way to his mind. Sean continued hitting a few more keys but deafening sounds echoed the hall. The audience stood up on their feet and began pushing their way to the exit; Sean could no longer hold his tears. Sean allowed his tears to drop onto the piano keys, each tear signifying his humiliation. His friends and family members came over, but to Sean’s shock, they all had dissatisfied expressions on their faces. Sean’s mother stood forward and said, “I am very disappointed and upset in you. How could you possibly let me down, in front of everyone?”
“But…but…I…” Sean stammered.
His mother had lost faith in him, he had let her down. The thought filled Sean with shame and regret. A sudden wave of loneliness knocked Sean, as he sat alone on the piano stool. He had determinedly rehearsed every day on the piano, but had shockingly failed his performance. Sean had been so confident before his performance-maybe too confident. He knew that his family and friends would no longer be proud of him. The thought was merely distressing.

The vivid sunlight shone through Sean’s window, as he struggled to open his eyes. A rush of relief shot through Sean’s mind. His failed performance, that had let everyone important in his life down, was all a dream. Sean sped out of his bedroom and went to his piano. He took a deep breath and began hitting the keys with his fingers. The flow of music filled the house with a magical sensation. Sean beamed to himself,” No one can take music away; it is a big part of this world.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!