Washed Away

Washed Away
I looked out of the car window and saw raindrops glistening in the moonlight as they plummeted to the ground. We pulled into the campgrounds, while the rain persisted to turn the area into a shallow lake. I stepped out of the car to find that the water was already past my ankles and the clouds did not look like they were retiring any time soon. The water felt icy on my bare feet and mud seeped between my toes. I felt my dream of sunny days down at the beach crumble and shatter as I realized that I would be stuck in our caravan for most of the holidays.
I fell asleep that night to the rains rhythmless tune playing on the roof.
Drip. Drip. I woke, my brain still cloudy with sleep. I rolled over and felt water soak through my shirt. Looking upwards I could see that water was leaking through the roof. Utterly annoyed, I dragged myself out of bed and looked outside.
The sun was attempting to shine through the clouds, turning the previously dark night into a hazy grey. Hope for a sunny day flickered inside me, but as I opened the door my hope was extinguished, as I saw with dismay that water was now flooding through the camp site and would be nearly up to my knees. I watched the mist drift through the air, looking for a place to settle.
Just as I was turning away from the disappointing sight an anxious man called, “Help! My tent is being washed away!”
My Dad, woken by the man’s pleas, leapt to action. “Where is it?”
Dad and I sloshed through the water after the man, just in time to see his tent disappearing down the road!
I thought it was a lost cause, but suddenly my Dad and the man started charging after it. I raced after them until I was gasping for breath and my legs felt like they were made of jelly. Slowing to a stop, I became aware that the two men had somehow disappeared into the distance and I suddenly realised I had no idea where I was. Panic started shooting through my body. Nothing looked familiar and I wasn’t sure which way I had come. Just as I was turning around in an attempt to backtrack, I saw two familiar figures appear from a nearby corner lugging a surprisingly still intact tent. Joy replaced my panic and I gave a sigh of relief.
I looked to the sky and my hope for a hot, sunny holiday was re-ignited, as I watched the sun fight its way out from behind the ugly charcoal clouds.
Written by Chelsea Keirsnowski
Age: 13
Address: 51 Kuhls Road, Highfields 4352
Grade Level: 8
School: St Joseph’s College, Toowoomba QLD 4350

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!