A Champion's Dream

I beamed as I stepped onto the rough, slanted diving board. My heart thumped inside my chest, threatening to burst. I gave a cheerful little wave in my parents’ direction. Nationals! I made it. If I make it through I’ll be in the Olympics, my dream since I could splash around in the water.
“On your marks!”
Filled with confidence I gripped the diving board. My breathing speeded up with excitement. I crouched down low, my legs winded up like a spring.
“Get set!”
I stared into the sparkling water, the glaring sun causing the water to flash like diamonds in a bright light.
“Go!”
The gun cracked suddenly, startling the birds resting in the giant, towering trees nearby. The air was filled with a chorus of indignant squawks.
I leapt outwards.
I slipped into the freezing, ice cold water and started kicking. All of a sudden, water rushed into my goggles. My heart paused its frenzied beating for a moment. I clamped my eyes shut. With luck nothing worse will happen. But after two strokes my goggles flipped over, painfully squashing my nose. My dream shattered before me. My heart felt like it had plunged into a deep ravine. My hopes and the tedious, unforgiving hours of swimming day after day, all for nothing!
Hot tears pricked at my eyes, mingling with the cool water. No! My mind yelled at me. Don’t stop! Keep going! You still have a chance! You came so far to be in the Nationals!
I gritted my teeth. No matter what hardships stand in my way I will never give up.
I flung myself forwards, my two arms skimming above the water. My muscles shrieked in agony, pleading me to stop. My nose throbbed, yelling at me to adjust my goggles. I paid them no heed, heaving harder with my arms.
Whack! My hands crashed into the stone hard, glassy, blue walls of the pool. My eyes flew open with shock. I wrenched off my goggles, spluttering as I scrambled up onto the ground, giddy and exhausted.
My parents came galloping over. My mum squeezed my waist so tightly the skin under her arms turned beet red.
Oblivious of my parents, I panicked. How badly did I do? My throat went dry, my eyes blurring once more. The bitter thought of failing popped up in my mind.
Dad patted my arm, grinning. “You did so well. I’m so proud of you.”
I spun around to stare at him in wonder. My goggles fell off, there’s no chance I still won. Is there?
Hope bloomed inside my heart. I whirled around to check the board. Why is my name on the top of the chart? Then realisation struck me, I won!
I punched the air in victory. No, all the painful, colourless hours of training were not wasted, far from that.
The birds resettled onto the slender, hazel coloured branches, joyful chirps ringing in my ears, as if they too were celebrating.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!