Say Goodbye

I drove into the secure parking lot. My family thinking “why does he have to leave? Why now?” I parked the car and the first thing that came to my mind was the stinking exhaust fumes from all of the other cars. My children Zac and Sarah helped me take out my bags from the trunk while my wife Monica was on the phone. I am Sergeant Hamish Gueller and I’m leaving because I’ve been summoned to go and help in the Iraqi war.

We walked through the doors and placed my baggage on a trolley. I checked my ticket “gate D.” My family and I helped search for the location of the gate until somebody directed me the way. I lined up to get my ticket stamped. It was a very long line but we finally got there. The lady at the desk checked my ticket, put my baggage onto the dock and made me fill out a few forms. We moved on to the security scanners. Zac and Sarah were so excited because they have never been through one before. We all got through fine except for the guy behind me, he forgot to take out his pocket knife.

As we walked to the waiting area, my wife and I spotted some people carrying their cameras and running towards somewhere. We figured it must be the paparazzi. We turned around to see what was going on and then I see the amazing Wayne Rooney, the ultimate striker in current English football. It has been my dream to see him with my own eyes. That’s finally something crossed of my “what I want,” list. Luckily enough I could get a few snaps on my phone to show my mates in Iraq.

We reached the shopping area. My wife just went crazy and begged me to buy her a few things before a leave. “Okay but nothing too expensive,” I groaned. I couldn’t forget my children so I bought then a little something too.

We finally got to my check-in waiting spot. There was still 2 hours till my plane. So we went to the food court to grab a bite. I had a large can of V to keep me awake during the flight while my wife sipped a cuppa. I also bought a pack of some original glazed doughnuts from Krispy Kreme’s. Oh boy do they make the best doughnuts!

The PA system alarmed “first call for flight QF967 to Iraq repeat first call for flight QF967 to Iraq.” That was my signal. I got up to say goodbye but they insisted in walking me to the gate, and I accepted.

We reached the boarding area. I gave my wife a hug and a big kiss! I hugged and hi-5’Ed my kids. They all had tears drooping down their face as I did. I approached the gate, waved back at my family shouting “Goodbye! I’ll miss you and love you!”

I hope I come back alive.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!