Panic

Inspired by a true experience….
How is it that now I find myself shivering, scared and wishing I was home? It was only yesterday morning, when I was so glad to be going back to school, seeing my friends and living another day through. Now the only thing I can think of is the person following me home.
It all started on my train journey home from school. He came through the door leading to another carriage. Even first looking at him I noticed something was different and I had a strong feeling of dislike. I tried not to judge and kept chatting with my friend, Gemma. A short time later I noticed him hyperventilating into a bag and performing other unusual and disgusting deeds. I obviously looked surprised as Gemma asked me what I was looking at. I quietly told her and we looked up just in time to see him vomit into the bag and put that bag under the train seat.
Looking at Gemma I could see she was as disgusted as I was. I tried to ignore the fact that his gaze was constantly on me and even though I wasn’t looking I could feel his eyes burning into my profile. I tried to act normal and ignore his presence completely. But at the next station, Gemma and I agreed to get out and change carriages.
Once in the other carriage, I realised how scared I really was. I became conscious of how much I was shaking and that my breathing was faster than normal. I dared to glance through the window and to my dismay, saw that he was still glaring at me through the windows. I felt a rush of anxiety build inside me as I realised Gemma was to get off on the next station and I was left to travel the remainder of the journey alone.
I got out eagerly at my station, relieved to finally be away from him. However, my relief was short lived because as I looked back, I could see him step on to the platform. I turned back around abruptly, surely this was just his stop and it was only coincidental. But alas it wasn’t so. It dawned on me once I entered my street that it was true, he was following me. He was making every turn I made and I even crossed the road and then crossed back again just to make sure!
I began to pick up pace. I could hear his footsteps pounding on the concrete footpath nearing me with every step I took. I attempted to call my Mum, but to no avail. I could sense him gaining ground and broke into a jog. I could feel the perspiration dripping down my neck as panic overtook me. Where was Mum? What was I to do? These thoughts raced through my head as I tried desperately to remain calm. Why was he following me? What did he want from me? What would he do if he caught up to me? I considered dropping my bag containing all my school books and laptop and running into the nearest house. In my haste, I tripped, falling onto the nature strip.
I felt an icy hand grip my shoulder tightly…..”Hey, you forgot your myki card on the train. You were running so fast I didn’t think I’d catch you!” I was speechless. I took the card from the stranger’s outstretched hand and managed to quietly murmur a “thank you”.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!