I Ran

I Ran

The sweltering Ethiopian sun loomed upon the barren desert as I plucked out the lifeless, shriveled crops and planted new seeds. Anxiousness pumped through my veins. My two sisters, wept with heavy hearts surrounding our only donkey who had died of an abscess. My youngest brother clung onto my mothers’ back whilst she rapidly yet elegantly shelled the walnuts that the passing merchants had discarded. As our sorrowful, treacherous lives lingered on as usual, my eldest brother and father watched from above.

Ever since the day they left us, I have felt as if something in me wanted to break through, something of supreme power. I have had continuous dreams about this sentiment, the most memorable was the time when the spirit of my father approached me with two sticks that crackled within a blaze of fire. I can still remember the words, the powerful words that he said... ‘Ignite your inner power, my son. All good starts with a small flame of hope. Be prepared, Derick, as what doesn’t kill you, will make you stronger.’ Abruptly, he faded away into a beam of light, leaving me with the two sticks that were black and crumbling.

Desperately, I began to scream out for my father who never returned. But what did was the shadow of a ferocious, ravenous lion, that prowled through the feeble reeds of the dried grass, circling two perished bodies. That was when I woke up to reality, finding myself cuddled up in my beloved mothers’ arms. The dream had been one of utter confusion and mystery. How could I release my inner power let alone find it?

Once I completed my farmer chores, I dusted my filthy hands upon my aching thighs. Yearning to relax, I wearily ambled for one hundred meters until I reached a pair of bright orange boulders that formed a perfect arch for sitting. I sat there, gazing into the blurry distance that wobbled with heat waves. The bland wilderness seemed to last for eternity. Small, flimsy houses that resembled brown specks were randomly scattered throughout the sun-beaten, vast plains.

Instantaneously, a chorus of thunderous roars came from behind me... It was a pride of lions! My whole body profusely palpitated with fear. I could hear the rubble crunching as the great beasts circled my sanctuary, preparing for the race. As soon as I leapt off the rock and onto the track, I knew I had ignited my inner power... I ran for my life.

My fathers’ words echoed in my mind as I bolted across the savanna with a flame of hope augmenting in my heart and guiding me forward. I could no longer hear the panting of lions but instead the cheering of a flock of Lammergeiers. I must’ve been faster than I thought as I had outrun not only my fears but my merciless opponents. With determination, I ran, ran and ran until I crossed the finish line. I had won gold, I had unlocked... my destiny.


By: Victoria Pistevos – Bethlehem College Ashfield NSW

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!