Safe And Sound

He stared with calculating eyes at the framed pictures that hung on the crisp white walls throughout the immaculate apartment, not one thing out of place. He fell onto his knees and brushed his fingers through the soft carpet, relishing in the feel of it. Every few seconds, the automatic air freshener spritzed the air, the delightful smell of vanilla filling his senses and calming his nerves. His slightly diluted and dazed eyes landed on a picture of his best friend beaming at the camera, in her second stage of chemotherapy. In the picture, his best friend had little to no hair, but you could tell there used to be a wild flurry of silky curls. His generally bright-eyed best friend had tired, droopy eyes and her usual tanned skin was pale and white as snow. It was easy to guess that she was using most of her strength just to smile. He dropped his eyes to the beige carpet beneath him and breathed in deeply, before letting the fury surge in his blood. He let out a loud wail of agony as he got up to his feet and ran around the room, tearing pictures off the wall and knocking a vase off the table. He thumped his fists on the wall and threw plates and glass across his best friends old room. He sobbed as he ripped curtains and blankets, tears cascading down his cheeks and off his stubble-covered chin in pure anguish. The sharp sound of pages tearing filled his ears and the stinging in his hands were numbed by despair. Nothing made sense to him; all he wanted was his best friend, the one who had been there for him whenever something was wrong. The only person he could talk to, the only person he had ever trusted. It wasn’t fair that he was now alone, with no one to laugh with. It wasn’t fair that his best friend couldn’t live another day on earth and wasn’t allowed to take another breath of air. He was also envious of her no matter how foolish it sounded. She’s resting in a peaceful place full of people she loves. He’s stuck in this cold world with no one to go to. He needed to hear her laugh one more time or smell her mix of strawberry and peach body spray. He needed her. With his back against the wall, he slid down slowly and his sobs became softer. He pulled his knees to his chest and let his tears dry before he took a deep gulp and walked carefully over the glass to the bathroom. Red tinged eyes and tear-streaked cheeks were what stared after him as he stood in front the mirror. Swallowing down bile, he opened the cupboard and got out his best friends previous medicine. He heard the pills clash against each other as he shook the container three times. Running a trembling hand through his hair, he sighed in hopelessness at the decision he was about to make, but he needed to do it. He had no place or purpose in the world now that his best friend was gone. He needed to join her in serenity. Unscrewing the bottle cap carefully, he acquired a handful of small white pills. Squeezing his eyes tightly, he took one last whiff of air freshener. A picture of his beautiful best friend was plastered in front of his eyes as he shoved the pills forcefully down his throat. In just a few minutes, he will meet once again with his true love and best friend.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!