Heart Attack

The sound of metal colliding with concrete made it obvious that the bonnet of the Chevy truck had hit the barriers in the hospital car park. The occupant, an adolescent girl, Caity, however, didn't care to assess the damage as she jumped out, slammed the door and locked it. All she could think was, "Come on. Get yourself together. It's not like she's dead."

She knew that her dad, two sisters and brother would be waiting for her in the room in which her mother was probably asleep. Or so she thought, and hoped.It was the first time, in almost a year, that her heart had played up since the surgery so there was no way that the pains she was having earlier on could have caused anything bad to happen. She was confident that her mother was going to be fine, but in her heart she sensed that something wasn't quite right. There was a feeling of emptiness. "Maybe a famous pop star died, or an actor," she said under her breath, trying not to think of the worst case scenario.

She saw an elderly women walk past with a man saying,"Did you hear about Maggie's big win on Thursday night at bingo? $72!"

Just as the women finished her sentence Caity's cellphone buzzed. She pulled it out to see the words WHERE ARE YOU? just as she walked to the entrance doors. She tried to calm herself down. But anyone could tell, by the way she asked, "Could you please tell me what room Sharnie Jones is in?" that she was as tense as you could be.

After about seven seconds of typing the receptionist replied, calmly, "Mrs. Jones is in room 16 on floor two. If you can't find it you may ask anyone for assistance."

"Thank you," Caity replied in the most relaxed tone she could manage.

Without even looking for a flight of stairs she ran to the nearest elevator and
prodded the button once, twice, six times before the doors flew open. She searched the buttons until she found one saying F2. After ten or so seconds and about five jolts that make Caity's tummy somersault, the doors opened to the second floor. About 35 meters away from her she could see her father, sisters and brother huddled together on two small sofas like they were trying to keep warm. One of her sisters, Kirsty, looked up and Caity saw the red around their eyes and their sticky cheeks stained with tears.

"What's going on? Is mum okay?" Caity asked worriedly.
This time it was her dad who spoke up.
"Caity, I think that you should take a seat," he said as he tapped a spot on the sofa beside him.
"Did something happen?" Caity asked, as she felt the tears well up in her eyes. Her dad always said that same line when something was wrong.

"Caity........ You're too late."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!