Heaven

I stared down, clouds swirled beneath my feet. I took a step, being sure I would fall but the cloud seemed solid. I could see someone up ahead. He turned and started walking away.

“Sir!” I shouted, “Wait!” But my words didn’t reach him. I started running but he seemed to be getting further and further away from me until finally he stopped and I caught up with him.

“Sir,” I began, “Where am I?” He didn’t answer. I thought he looked familiar. Then I realised. “Uncle Nick?”

He turned his loving eyes to me and smiled. Then he walked away again. I stood there, my thoughts tripping over one another inside my mind. By the time my thoughts were organised I realised that the clouds I was standing on were thinning. I didn’t have much time left.

Uncle Nick was just a figure in the distance. So I ran. I ran faster than I could ever remember running before. When I reached him, he was standing there with warm eyes. No words were said. They would’ve spoiled the moment.

Then I realised that we weren’t alone. A crowd of people were around us. Some of them I remembered from pictures. I knew these people were my relatives. I stared at them and they stared back at me. The clouds underneath me were faint and wispy. My time here was up. I took one last look at all my relatives before the clouds vanished and I was falling, but I wasn’t scared.

I awoke in my bed. Light was illuminating the blinds. I rose to my feet. It had been a dream but inside me I knew it was more than that. I had visited heaven and I knew I wouldn’t see those people until I went there myself. For good.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!