You Can Do It!

I watched intently, as my team member managed to grab the ball. I took a quick glance at the clock, the game was nearly over. The scores were even; The Emeralds 35 and Blue Thunder 35. Our supporters cheered ‘Blue Thunder! Blue Thunder!’

I’ve played netball since I was eight. Mum first enrolled me in school netball, thinking that it was a great way to make friends. It worked well enough until I got older and netball became more serious and competitive. Since then it’s been more of a worry that I might stuff up or miss a goal. Last night this grand final had me worried sick. I couldn’t sleep; the thoughts of failure were raging in my head.

Now I was really here, my heart beating, sweat running down my face. I could see Mum jumping up and down in the stadium, waving her fist madly about. She smiled at me, which gave me some more confidence. The pit of my stomach churned as the ball made its way down my end of the court. I felt like I was going to throw up.

Suddenly, I found my hands grasped onto something. I was too scared to look at first but as I cleared my gaze, I saw it. The ball.

I looked franticly around, my team mates started shouting ‘Shoot, shoot!’ but my muscles seemed as though they were frozen. I could feel my heart thumping in my chest. If I stuffed this one up, it would be over. I just couldn’t bring myself to shoot. I thought that was it, I wouldn’t shoot, the whistle would blow and the team would just walk off sad and disappointed all because of me.

Then out of the corner of my eye I saw it. It was a sign that read: ‘Go Bec! You can do it!’ and my best friend Skye was holding it up cheering her heart out. A few days ago we had a fight and since then she hasn’t talked to me. I thought it was over between us so I ignored her too but her she was supporting the team ... and me. She gave me a thumbs up and that was all I needed, that gave me the boost I was looking for.

I raised the ball up into the air. There was no turning back now. I slowly bent my knees, took a deep breath and released the ball. I watched as the ball flew slowly up to the ring. Everything seemed like it was in slow motion. A slow scream washed over the crowd as the ball twirled around the ring, finally falling in. The whistle blew to signal the end of the game. My teammates were screaming and hugging me. I rushed over to Skye and Mum. ‘Bec that was amazing!’ Mum cheered. I had done it, I shot the winning goal. ‘Thanks Skye...’ I whispered as I held the trophy up high.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!