Fear

“Good night sweetie”. My mother whispers her departing words as she closes my bedroom door. The deafening final pull concealing the last rays of light from my room radiates in my ears. I whimper. With both hands I pull my blanket up to just below my eyes as I surely need to see what dangers will be coming to me in this terrifying darkness. As I move in my bed the curtains are slightly altered. The pale light of the moon streams through a gap illuminating my fears. Shadows are cast upon the white walls. They seem to move harmoniously with each other, dancing in quick hurried steps. For a moment the fear is gone and I find peace at looking at these wonderful creatures. They climb higher now, making their way up to the top of my bookcase. This is when the fear returns. Sitting, staring, and smiling. The very embodiment of my fears. The clown. His soulless eyes pierce my heart sending it into a fluttering mess. My breath quickens. I can feel the hatred he feels for me. I have chosen to neglect him through the nights and now I can sense the need for his revenge. I shut my eyes. I beg that he doesn’t hurt me. Taking a deep breath in I muster the courage to revisit the sight of the clown. Nothing. He is gone. My heart already in overdrive starts to beat so hard I’m afraid you would be able to see it jump from my ribcage repeatedly. My eyes frantically dart around the room. My blanket tugs slightly to the right. Something has just made its way onto my bed. Losing all control of myself I dive under the covers. The warm air feels just as comforting as my mother's arms. I hear it now. The gentle footsteps of a small creature slowly inching towards me. I close my eyes again. I can feel the tears developing, catching in my eyelashes and threatening to jump down onto my check. I whimper once more. The fear I feel is so intense I begin to shake uncontrollably. Just then the covers are ripped from around me. I scream fearing the end. Shock. My mother stands above me. She reaches down and embraces me with soothing words. I calm down. She tucks me in again. She kisses me on the head and places something next to me. Once again she exits my room whispering her good nights. I turn my head slightly to see what she has chosen to place with me during my slumber. The cruel eyes stare back at me inches away from my face. I try to scream but no noise escapes. He has finally made his move. Darkness follows. Darkness that is tainted with the faint image of a cruel smile forever laughing at my demise.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!