Under The Canopy

My feet pounded against the damp dirt of the forest floor, taking me further and further away from where I was supposed to be. Was I doing the right thing? I didn’t know. All I knew was that there was no turning back now. I’d abandoned my little white shoes a while back, and as I pushed past the hanging leaves and scratchy branches of the swaying trees, I hastily shimmied out of my dress cardigan and threw it to the ground as I continued running. My once-neat braid had come loose; long, brown tendrils of hair now obscured my vision and I brushed them away. The loud booming of my heart filled my ears, reminding me once again that this was really happening. A hidden root in the ground suddenly seized my foot and I was yanked down, forced to unwillingly hug the earth as the air was knocked out of me. I slowly dragged myself up onto all fours, taking the time to catch my breath. When I stood, I noticed a deep rip down the side of my dirt stained white dress starting from my mid-thigh to the ground. At least it would make running easier. Soil mingled with my sweat and I gave myself a quick brush off before I bolted through the trees once more.
All that mattered was him. I had to see him. Everything was on the line for these next few moments. Would he be there like he promised me? Even though I said I couldn’t come? He’d told me everything would be okay. The thing was, how could I be sure? Slowly, my whole life was unravelling and being turned on its head. My future was now uncertain. But I would rather that than having a mapped out life to stumble through. I passed the giant old log he’d described and felt myself start to recognise the invisible path I was running. I was close. New determination coursed through my veins like a wild phoenix spreading its fire. Winds blew up dirt and leaves onto my imprinted footsteps behind. I knew that they would come looking for me; to find me.
I couldn’t let that happen.
A flash of colour to the left of me made my heart skip a beat. I slowed to a steady walk, reminding myself to be cautious. It could be anyone. I emerged from behind the tree that was keeping us apart, unintentionally stepping on a dry stick that crackled and snapped beneath my bare foot. His head snapped around in my direction, ready for anything, before his expression registered me and he sent me a look full of such relief, reassurance and love that it warmed me to the core. He took a few steps towards me before I ran the rest of the way, where we caught each other in our arms. Our foreheads touched and my arms made their way up and around his neck. Hazel-flecked emerald eyes bored into mine.
"You came."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!