Call Of The Dingo

Serena- 24th October
I sniff the air. It is damp. Good, I thought, we need rain. The soft moonlight gives everything a faint white glow. A cold breeze whistles in my fur and sweeps over the dry ground. Our leader signals us to eat. I bend down to sniff at the ground. There is no food, the ground is dry and the herds have moved on. Shadow pricks up his ears and barks at Alpha, “Humans! A whole group of them!” I think of how they took our friends and tied them up. I think of how they shot our mates and wore their fur. I think of how long ago humans were living beside us in harmony.
Serena- 25th October
I keep a close eye on those humans and they don’t seem bothered by us. Alpha went into their camp last night. There were no sparkly things like the other groups. I think this group is different and maybe harmless. I talked to Alpha about it. “Serena, they’re humans! Think about what they have done in the past! Don’t trust them.”
Serena- 26th October
Today I found a young child. He was playing in the sand under a big tree. I crept up to him slowly and licked my lips. Stop! What are you thinking?! I jolted myself back to reality. I couldn’t eat this child! If I did the humans would kill me and the whole pack. I would never see Alpha or Scar or Moonslither ever again! I walked away, creeping thought the shadows. A small brown face turned to me. He was frightened and ran away shouting to the others. I hid, but no bullet sounds came.
Kaya-Shi- 26th October
My name is Kaya-Shi. I live in a tribe called Nay-Wang. Today Hay-Lin saw a dingo. Everyone was fussing around checking to make sure that it hadn’t hurt anyone. I am not scared. Dingos and coyotes don’t hurt anyone unless we hurt them. It’s our job to make sure that doesn’t happen.
Serena- 27th October
Thunder crashes and Lightning flashes, lighting up the cave. Alpha is sitting by the entrance. “Serena, why aren’t you asleep?” Alpha stares at me though green eyes. “I could ask you the same thing, Alpha. What’s bothering you?” He lies down and sighs. “I can’t stop thinking that we’re in trouble.” Alpha nuzzles me and falls asleep. I stand up slowly. I have something to do. Kaya-Shi- 28th October
I found a dingo. Well, a dingo found me. I remember waking up to the call of a dingo. I crept out of the hut and snuck out of camp. I knew I wasn’t supposed to, but I was desperate to see an animal with power. And there it stood. A dingo, howling at the moon. I crept up, but as if it knew I would come, ran up to me and sat beside me.
Serena- 28th October
Here together. Sitting side by side. Watching the sun rise up in the sky, I hope harmony will bring us together again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!