The Flood

Marietta Fretta, her two brothers and sister watched the news. Mark, who was 11, moaned as he remembered he wasn’t allowed to watch The Simpsons. Shae, 9 sighed as the news reporter stated that the weather was after the break. Shaun, 8 turned away as the ads went by.
But Mary, 12 kept her cool, as the news man started, knowing that if she complained then she wouldn’t be able to go to the movies.
“Oh shut up!” said their father.
Suddenly a flash appeared and the man stopped abruptly and took a piece of paper from the camera man. He read it and shouted.
“Save yourselves!!!! A big flood is approaching. Get on furniture, anything, don’t forget to lock the house or you will experience the worst.
It’s due in at least 10 minutes!”
The children’s father jumped up. He grabbed Marietta and steered her to her bed.
“Mary, you’re in charge. Mum and I will stay on our bed. You’re taking the others on your Queen sized bed. The others are packing things, it’s for 10 days, and I trust you. Now start packing!” he ran off, getting ready.
Mary grabbed some clothes and things to keep her occupied.
After a bit she checked her watch. 5 minutes left.
“Shae,” she called.
Shae came running with a sackful of food. She jumped on Marietta’s bed and dumped the sack near the pillow.
“Shaun!” Mary called.
He came running with all his toys and sat right near the sack of food, tucking into the sheets.
“Mark!” Marietta cried. This time Mark came sprinting with his stuff, drinks, Shae's toys and clothes and Shaun’s clothes. He got settled.
They heard the rushing of water and the next thing they knew it was there.
Shae leaned over the edge to see the pretty fish. She saw a turtle and tried
to grab it. She missed and slipped into the sheets. She was stuck.
Shaun saw his big sister fall and become stuck and immediately wanted to help.
He leant over but slipped in and started shouting. Mary screamed and dived in after him. Then she realised her mistake. Now she couldn’t get on the bed.
Mark was the only one who could save them, even though he didn’t know how. He leant over to grab Marietta’s hand and saw something that filled him with dread.
A fin.
Mark thought fast and found his target.
The eye.
He poked there with his finger and got perfect aim. He grabbed Shaun. Then he pulled Mary back on. They worked hard and got Shae free.

And so for the next 10 days they remained safe and sound, but they really did miss land. They tried to make the most of their experience there and said what they had learned about safety and strength, Mark gloating all the time.
After a minute though, Mark woke up...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!