Voice Of The Spirits

I looked off into the horizon. I could just barely see the island, I glanced at Roy. We had to find a way to get the spirit gem back; it keeps the peace between the realm of the living and the dead. If we didn’t get that stone back to it’s shrine soon, phantoms will enter the world of the living.
I look at Mina and Jacob; both of them were staring at the pirate’s hideout with identical grim expressions. They said nothing.
After what felt like hours Roy broke the silence.
“We should get moving, we’re wasting time just standing here, and there are only a few more hours until the last of the gem’s power fades.”
Of course he was right, but the idea of fighting a bunch of thieving, murderous pirates was not very appealing.
“But we don’t have a boat, and we can’t swim there. We have no way to get onto the island.”
Jacob was clearly trying to make excuses not to go, even with all of his magic ability and massive amounts of luck, he was the biggest coward I ever had the misfortune to meet.
Roy glared at him, Mina gave an exasperated sigh. I looked at Sapphira and we both rolled our eyes.
“Clearly you forgot that both me and Cora have dragons, we can simply fly to the island.”
Roy said through gritted teeth, frustrated at Jacob’s lack of enthusiasm. Before Jacob could argue again, Roy continued, he turned to Mina.
“Mina, you go with Cora on Sapphira”. Mina nodded I raised my eyebrows.
“What about Jacob?” I ask, “We’re not going to leave him behind are we?”
“No”. Roy said turning towards me “He’ll be going with me on Virida, even if I have to tie him down.” Roy said it just loud enough for Jacob to hear and we all watched as he proceeded to whimper and whine.

Several minutes later we were in the air, getting closer towards the island. Soon after, we touched down. Only to be met by pirates, they were everywhere, creeping out of holes and dropping down from ropes.
We were outnumbered. But who were we to back down from a fight? Mina drew her bow, Roy was already in front with his short sword in hand, Jacob readied his magic while I channeled my own magic into my staff. The dragons, Virida and Sapphira were snarling, ready for the upcoming brawl.
Everything was soon a blur as we fought, the pirates knew our reason for being there, but seemed reluctant to give in. I swung my staff in every direction, Roy attacked everything within reach, all around pirates were falling, to Mina’s arrows and Jacob’s magic.
Within minutes they were retreating, crying for mercy. One of them ran forward and shoved something into Roy’s hands, it was the spirit gem.
Time was almost up, we had to move quickly. With gem in hand, we made our way back to the gem’s resting place.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!