Many Ways And Many Days

In the deep remains of a broken down forest, with nothing but tree trunks and gravel, and old wooden planks used for shelter of the miners who used to live here. I live here and have not recalled any movement since the invasion of our enemy. The invasion has left me with nothing but pain and stress. The only benefit here is the peace and quiet. I dream about moving and finding another place to live like all other miners do, without having to hunt for food and water. This is how I survive.

Every night I hear wooden planks creaking or falling down. Since the invasion, trees were burned, the house was destroyed and all of my mining valuables stolen. The quiet dawns on me sometimes, but also leaves me with peace, making it easy to sleep. I am far out from any cities, that I won’t make it alive if I keep travelling by foot to unknown areas.

Transportation was destroyed in the invasion, leaving me with no hope of getting out of here. But, thinking and dreaming comes true for the ones who don’t just think it’s a dream.

The morning has arrived with still no sign of sound or movement. I climb up my stoned, underground house with an idea. Using my bow and arrow I catch my food to survive. Like every morning I fill up my bucket and head to the beach, where little remains of sand, dwells between the water and rocks. I leave my food and water ashore and burry them, whilst I go and get some wood.

My main resource in my life is my wooden crafting table. Of course, I have brought this along with me on my attempt of finding civilisation and a better way to live. Then, after hours I craft a wooden boat that will hopefully sail long enough. I place my two oars in the holes I have carved into my boat. I pack up my items and my other crafting table. I try to find my bucket, food and water that I had buried. I left a mark from where they were but my eyes couldn’t trace them. Panicking more and more with every dig, the valuables couldn’t be found! Then as I dig a bit deeper, I find a hole filled with water. I realize the water had crept through the sand and carried my items out to sea. I am only left with my body, boat and two oars.

The boat and chest remain empty. One row at a time I pull and pull and my speed increases. Each row brings me deeper in the ocean. It’s so quiet as the sunsets over the dark ocean. Nothing but the sun is now moving. Its quiet and only water can be heard brushing my wooden oars.

There is an island ahead covered with sand and civilization! I am destined at last to start my new life.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!