Sanity's Descent

I closed my eyes, waiting for the dream to end and the nightmare to begin. It began as usual... me, wandering through a barren plane. Then, the voice calls – that eerie, chilling voice.
“Come to me, Lexa... Come home... Ahaha!” it called. Then the running began. The endless chase across the plane. I ran for my life, screaming, yet no sound came out – I was trapped. Trip, stumble, fall – that’s what came next, as the monster floated over me, it’s presence slowly pulling me in. Into the darkness.
“Ah! Oh... thank god. I’m safe.” I got up out of my bed, still clutching my pillow. I put it on the floor, headed to the bathroom and washed my face, sticky and sweaty from the dream. Why was I the one to be burdened with this every night? I barely ever slept since I just woke up again 2 hours later. So, I hiked downstairs to join the night owls of America in a ‘Soul Calibur 5’ marathon. I managed to find some party pies, and heated up some of those too. By the time it finished it was 8:00 A.M.
“Damn, Lexa! Again? Why can’t you just get some sleep and let me watch T.V?” Axel, my older brother, said.
“Well, fine. I’ll take my delicious, hot party pies and go.” I left the room. I was gonna try this ‘sleeping’ thing again. Apparently it’s the new craze. So, I dared to dream that awful nightmare yet again, hoping that it would change. The dream began. I thought I was ready for it this time... But I wasn’t – it was a different dream.
“Ah, Lexa. You came home! It’s so good to see you.” The voice wasn’t so eerie this time. It sounded more... familiar. I dared to question the beast.
“Wait... Is that you...Fiora?” Fiora was my best friend. Then, a couple months ago, she went missing. When no-one found her, I was devastated. I couldn’t live without her. Gradually, I pushed it to the back of my mind to get through the day.
“You found me! I’ve been waiting for you for sooooo long! Please, stay with me!”
“I-I can’t. I have to stay with my family. You’re just in my dreams.”
“But Lexa, this ISN’T a dream! This is reality! You think that thing is real? It’s too bad to be real.” She was right, ‘life’ sucked. This is real... this is home. So, I followed her home. To stay. Forever.
Thursday, 05/10/12.
Lexa has been in the looney bin for 7 months now. It’s hard without her. I manage to get by, though. I miss her every day. Whenever she sees me, she says that she’s home, that I am not reality. What happened to her? Once Mum heard, she came back. She’s the only reason I still have a home nowadays. Love you and I wish you were here, Lexa. – Axel.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!