Making A Hero



Who is our hero? We have none, we are cursed.

Another bomb blows up outside, reminding me how vulnerable and weak I am compared to nuclear explosions. I think the Conlo Army is outside my house, but I am too afraid to go peep through the window, afraid I might be caught. Another bomb goes off and I scuttle to my mother and fathers bedroom. “Mother, father, the Conlo army is outside” I whisper, shaking them both. My mother looks alarmed and so does my father a look that rarely appears on his face. “Annie, go down to the basement, stay there and whatever you do, don’t make a noise.”My father says. I was so frightened by this point; I could feel tears running down my cheeks. “Father, we can all go! There’s enough room down there!” I say hysterically. “No, there isn’t.” He replies. “You and your mother go down there and please keep quiet.” My mother looks at me a sad look appearing upon her face. She then gazes at my father, and knew that our family was in grave danger. “Come on Annie, this way.”Grabbing my hand and pulling me away from my Father. She doesn’t look back at my father, but I do, and I see the tears running down his face. “Come now Annie, hurry!” My mother screams. Another bomb explodes outside and I hear thumping on the door. My mum uses the key around her neck to open the basement and she ushers me inside. Just as I make enough room for her, I hear the soldiers of Conlo army, inside the house approaching us. “Mother, come in!” I say frantically knowing we only had a few seconds before they came into this room. “Sh.” She says giving me a pleading glance. “I love you Annie, my darling daughter, now don’t say a word.” And with that she closes the door, but not with her in it. I look through the crack of the door and I see my mother standing there in her white stained gown. Her blonde hair which I always admired messy and tangled, she was beautiful. The Conlo Army marches in and see’s my mother standing there ever so bravely. “Where’s your daughter!?” They roar. They were looking for me? How do they even know I exist, I am just a poor girl? My mother remains quiet and doesn’t say a word. One of the soldiers grabs his gun and beats her on the head. I draw in a gasp as my mother stumbles to the floor. “Don’t make me say it again, where is the girl!?” My mother remains silent and the General hoists my mother up by the arm and drags her out of the room. Once they are gone I step out of the basement, looking around at the mess that was my home. Then the thought came to me, I would save my mum, and stop the war, I would be my own hero.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!