Jack's Circus

The circus lights flared, and candyfloss and popcorn scents drifted through the red and white tent flaps. The glow-in- the-dark fans whirled, the lions roared and the elephants tooted. The noise was tremendous. Just then a scared baby elephant called Rosie stepped on stage.
Jack loved the trip to the circus, the lions roaring, horses galloping and loud music ringing in his ears. But his favourite bit was when the little elephant plodded on stage. He decided to make his own circus.
In his black cape and fake moustache, Jack looked almost the same as the ringmaster at ‘Big Bum Circus.’ He had the same black hair and dancing blue eyes, except Jack was a bit shorter, and the ringmaster owned a real circus. Francine and Rupert, Jack’s two black poodles decided to help too. Jack wanted Tubby to help because she looked just like a real tiger. Now all they needed was an elephant and Jack knew just where to get one….
Of course Jack knew ‘Toot’ was just a toy, but he was better than nothing. “Ladies and...” Jack began, but something interrupted him. A soft thumping noise, like someone was stepping on a carton of eggs.
“Stick em up!” shouted Jack as he sprayed a big bulk with his Super Soaker. Rosie trumpeted in delight and Jack stared.
Rosie had run away from the circus! “Hey, that’s kind of catchy!” he said. He patted Rosie’s trunk.”You’ve got to go back to the circus,” he said. But the little elephant wouldn’t move. Francine and Rupert barked as Jack pushed and pulled. “It’s no use,” Jack groaned. Then he had an idea…
Jack knew that elephants are scared of mice, so he decided to give it a go. Out came Lemondrop and Jeffrey his pet mice. He put them in front of Rosie and waited. He waited for ten minutes until he realised Rosie wasn’t scared. “That blows that idea,” he thought.
He sat down to think. He remembered her at the circus. She looked frightened and scared, but while she was with him she was happy. But why? That’s it! Another idea slotted into place….
“Mum, Mum!” exclaimed Jack, “Can we have a pet elephant? Can we?” “Certainly not,” said Mum. ”Please,” begged Jack. “No.” Well, Jack thought to himself, it’s like dynamite just exploded on that idea.
“What if I join the circus?” One more idea zipped into his head. “Mum would never let me, but I could run away with the circus!” Rupert and Francine barked with joy as Jack clipped on their leads, put Lemondrop and Jeffrey in his backpack, and fastened a rope around Rosie’s neck. And off they went.
Jack was a huge success. He became a clown and Francine and Rupert, Lemondrop and Jeffrey danced to music and Rosie gave them rides around the circus ring and they all lived happily ever after.
Except for Mum who was worried sick.
Mum never found them.
The End

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!