Old World New World

"Keep going, I can make it". Mimi repeated in her head. Today was the Harks High School Bike marathon. Mimi was nearing the finish line when a giant eagle swooped in front of her. "AAGH!" screamed Mimi, losing control of her bike and falling down a mining shaft.

"Hello, are you alright?" asked a boy wearing a worn out tunic. "Yes, I'm fine but where am I?" she asked. He pointed his arm behind her head. Mimi suddenly became aware of a dark shadow falling across her and she slowly turned her head to see what it was. "This can't be happening!" she said looking up at a giant Pyramid behind her with hundreds of slaves working and sweating in the hot sun.

"My name is Jordan" said the boy. "Iam a slave to the Great King Giza. This", he said staring up at the Pyramid "is the first Great Pyramid of Giza we are building in honour of our Great King".

"No way" said Mimi. "This can't be true. The Ancient Egyptians lived thousands of years ago."

"Come, come" said Jordan. "Let me show you around". It was hot. Mimi felt like she was two centimetres from the sun. "How can you live like this?"she asked.

"We are slaves. We know no other way of life". As they walked Jordan explained the life of an Egyptian slave. It sounded really horrible to Mimi. She started to wonder if she'd ever see her home again.

Suddenly two hands grabbed Mimi's shoulders. "Who are you. What are you doing here. You will kneel before me. Iam a guard to the Great King Giza!"

"Please Sir, let her go, let her go" pleaded Jordan as he fell to his knees.

Mimi and Jordan were led to the Kings' palace in chains. "Kneel before me!" yelled the King. Mimi looked up to see the Great King Giza sitting on a throne made of gold.

"You will be taken to our prison and your friend will be sentenced to death!"

"No!" cried Mimi.

"I'll get us out of here" said Jordan.

"Why did I have to fall down that stupid mining shaft", Mimi thought as she sobbed in the prison cell. "Psst, I have a plan to get us out of here". It was Jordan. "I'm so glad you're here", Mimi cried.

"There is an underground tunnel in your cell that the slaves built. After I get you out of here we'll both run away" Jordan said.

They dug frantically for hours. "I've found it! We can escape" he said.

As they ran the guards were right behind them and gaining fast. They were nearly at the end of the tunnel when a gust of sand flew in front of them and blinded the guards.

"We're safe", Mimi said to Jordan "but where will we go? I don't know the way back to my home".

"We will both go to Libya and live with my Uncle. Everyting will be fine from now on".





FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!