Olympic Dream

OLYMPIC DREAM

“Today is the day the day have waited for the past four years my first ever Olympics’’ I whispered to myself quietly as I placed my feet onto the starting blocks. I could feel the stamina in my body just waiting to be released I could already taste victory I could feel my whole country on my shoulders.

READY, I take a deep breath, SET I break a sweat along the side of my face, then the gun pistol shoots, I sprint with all my hopes and dreams on the line, I can feel the wind blowing intensely in my face as I hear an immense cheer coming from the crowd as I take the lead by a few centimetres.

I was halfway across the race track then for a second I slowed down but I was still jogging spontaneously. I felt confused I had a million thoughts rush through my head I saw a glimpse of my family in the crowd but for some totally unknown reason my grandma stood out in that crowd, I could almost taste her triple fudged mouth-watering cookies, I shook my head and I came back to my senses within a few seconds. I had only realized I was falling behind, I sprinted as fast as I could my legs felt like they were going to collapse literary. Now I’m less than a meter away from the finish line so I sprint with all the strength left in me. Within 7 seconds I cross the finish line.

I hadn’t realized I had won gold until my name appeared on the big board in seconds photographers were taking millions of pictures of me I felt like I was the centre of attention. In the next few minutes on the big board it said….

NEW WORLD RECORED!!!! With my name on it. Suddenly my heart melted with glee. I looked directly into the crystallized light blue sky. My heart started a slow repetitive beat then got faster and faster then there came a stage when my heart felt like it was pumping faster than the cheater could run, I could feel the energy in my body It felt like I have had a sugar rush, I had sweat dripping drown my back, I felt like a new person I felt like I was on top of the world.

I will never forget the day of the 2012 London Olympics that changed my generation for ever.

25 years later I still embrace the shiny gold medal that I proudly put my tears of pain, sweat, and tears of joy into to my success. I am still the most -proud living human of all mankind.

By Nethmi Irugalbandara

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!