A Change Of Perception

It was 3 years ago but I remember it clearly as though it was just yesterday, the hot moist breeze of wind blowing in my face, the smell of strong, spiced cultural food from a far distance, the recitation to the call of prayer was still in my ears and the feeling of my feet entering into the mosque to pray felt as though I was praying on clouds, these feeling was filled with joy, happiness, love, sincerity and peace. As I opened my iceblock I could feel the same temperature below at the top of my toes it was the water of the beach as I walked along its side. It was not like Australia it was so different, completely diverse. Pakistan was the holiday destination, it was so interesting I was always comparing it back to home (Australia). Australia is so multicultural, with numerous different cultures, ethnicity and religions. Pakistan was mainly filled with just Pakistanis and mostly had the same religion, culture and ethnicity. That was an interesting perspective of a significant change that I witnessed within this holiday trip. It was time to go to my grandparent’s house; the house was bigger than I thought it was bigger than my house in Australia much bigger! As I knocked, my grandparents welcomed me inside, I felt like an ant in this house it was big not only was it big in size but it was also big in presentation, Urdu calligraphy on the walls stood out and caught the attention to my eyes. When it was dinner time I sat down so anxiously waiting to taste the food of Pakistan, samousas and the curry (salaam as we call it in Pakistan) were so delicious, it wasn’t like Australia’s Samousas or salaam that my mum tries to cook at home, it was full of spice and the smell triggered my intestines. Next to my grandparents house, Chantajam (a mango farm) was near bye, I went with my brother to check it out it was amazing, one piece of mango was a size of my face! It was amazing to see how big the fruits were in Pakistan comparing to Sydney as the fruit sizes are so limited. Don’t get me wrong, Sydney has delicious fruits too! As I was getting ready to go to the shops I realised that there was no indoor shops like we have in Australia. In Australia we have Westfield’s and WestPoint’s as they are all enclosed areas. But in Pakistan everything was outside, they were selling fruits, meats, clothes, shoes, vegetables, accessories, food and Drinks all outside along the streets. As you walk along the stores people who don’t even know one another greet everyone with a smile and an Urdu greeting. It’s so much louder than I was expecting, screams of bargains, laughter’s were on arise. Through my holiday journey it was an important experience which I gained and I am forever thankful to have these two diverse cultures in me as I am an Australian Boy with a Pakistani culture.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!