Decisions

"The Lost Caverns? That would mean-"
"That it was from the Azurian Age, making it a very powerful spell? Yes," she finished, "It destroyed every living thing within a mile that had an evil heart. Which, I suppose means you do not."
"What were you saving it for?"
"The great war, of course," she replied, almost dreamily, "There's going to be one, you know. Between us and the Nexurians. It's inevitable."
"The Nexurians?" he asked, confused.
"They were once men, but a curse was placed on them, and they became twisted and evil. They sent those soldiers."
"And how is it that you are mixed up in all this?" he asked.
"When I was four years old, they killed my family," she replied, a sad smile etched upon her face.
"I'm sorry," he offered, "That must have been hard."
"At first it was, but I have the others now, and life is far more interesting. Speaking of the others, we probably ought to go now. We're late," she sighed, standing up, and picking her weapons off the ground where the soldiers had dropped them.
"We?" he asked, as she strapped the quiver to her back.
"Yes of course. You're not safe anymore," she said, puzzled.
"Woah, wait a minute. I don't even know your name! I know nothing of these 'Nexurians'! I'm not just going to walk out of my life-"
"Why not? Did you ever do anything particularly wonderful?" she asked.
"Well, no, but-"
"What? Afraid your girlfriend would miss you too much?"
"I don't have a girlfriend," he replied, "What about you, your boyfriend too busy killing Nexurians to save your life?"
"No," she replied, annoyance creeping into her voice, "He's back at camp."
"So why isn't he with you?" he asked.
"Because I can take care of myself, and I don't need men to protect me," she said, her anger showing on her face.
" Which is why you'd be dead now if it weren't for me."
"I didn't know the others were there!" she said defensively, "If I'd known, I would've been able to lead them to the trap!"
"Trap?" he said, impression showing on his face, "You're clever. And angry. Not a good mix. I like it."
"Then it’s just too bad that you're too blind to see the truth. You're just going to waltz back into your life, and when they come for you, you won't know how to fight them," she said, angrily.
She ran to the edge of the forest, turned and grinned impishly at him, then disappeared among the trees, her voice calling "And my name is Daemon!" He could hear her laughter ringing through the trees, taunting him, daring him.
And in that split second, he made the most important decision of his life.
"Confound it all!" he said to himself, jumping to his feet, and running after her.
"Daemon!" he shouted, running through the trees.
Silence.
"You called?" Daemon said, appearing beside him, wearing a black cloak, hand holding the reins of a big, majestic looking, black horse.
"Uh," he said, suddenly feeling awkward, "I changed my mind. I want to come with you.
"Well then," Daemon said, smiling like she'd known all along that he would come, "I suppose we should get going."
"How far is it?" he asked in confusion.
"Six hours from here," she replied, an evil glint in her eye, "I hope you don't mind walking."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!