Vita Fugit, Sicut Umbra (Life Passes Like The Shadow)

It started when he was eight.

His childhood consisted mainly of summer wind and asphalt. He was an active child, everyone admitted. It was not uncommon for him to be seen flying across the concrete on his scooter, balancing perilously on one leg as it rounded corners. He enjoyed the thrill of the flight. It made him feel alive.

His teenage years consisted largely of bouts of arguments and much slamming of appendages. There was not a day gone when cacophonies of fortissimo voices could be heard throughout the neighbourhood. It was common on those days for a figure to be seen leaving by the rear window. He did not mind the twelve-foot drop. It was a meagre challenge compared to the Armageddon awaiting behind.

The early twenties were harder for him. His dulcet companion was expensive. Soon he owed more than he could pay. The latter stages of his twenties composed mostly of brawls, arguments, and close encounters with the law. He wasn’t one to play by the rules. Naturally the government noticed. They said they wanted to give him a second chance. To help him. They told him that he would be doing good, that he was serving his country. He would be helping them as well, they said, that this was a way to make better use of his life.

He accepted.

The war was short. He was an artillery gunner. Simple job. Easy hours. Low stress atmosphere. He was home by the third week due to ‘complications’.

His first month back passed quickly. The repetitive routines of life revelled; the dullness of stability, the mundane comfort of home. Boring. Insipid.

Dull.

They suggested he go see someone. He thought it a waste of time but went anyways, just to please them.

She was…nice.

But it was always the same questions. How has your week been? Any changes? How are you feeling? Good. No. Good. Do you want to be here? Why are you here then?

I don’t know.

Even she eventually gave up. Most of the time was spent sitting in

Silence.

What happened?

Finally.

"It all started when I was eight."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!