Lee The Lamington Lover

“Goodbye!” shouted Lee to his friend Daniel as he turned towards the Professor’s lab where he helped conduct experiments. Lee entered the Professor’s dark, dingy garage-lab he dumped his bag down ready for work. Professor Pleasedonttouch was a man in his nineties with wild snowy white hair. He wore a white lab coat with several large overstuffed pockets. “Help your self to a lamington” said the Professor. “I know they’re your favourite!” “Thanks!” said Lee, scooping up a handful. “Did you know lamingtons were invented when a maid tripped over something and dropped a plain sponge cake in some chocolate? She had to roll it in some coconut to stop it being sticky.” “Mmmmm-mmmmm”

“Lee,” said the Professor sternly. “I’ve a dangerous favour to ask.”

Clank went the door of the telephone-box. The Prof wanted him to travel to the year 3001 through the time machine/telephone box. How stupid was he to say “yes” without thinking about all the risks? “It’s very simple!” shouted the professor over the loud whirr of machinery. “All you have to do is type in the time and date and you’ll be sucked through the receiver.” “WHAT?!?!?” thought Lee. The professor raved on; “While you‘re going through the portal, shout out your destination: Sydney, Australia” “Fine” grumbled Lee, picking up the receiver when TWOONG!!! The cord broke! Lee suddenly felt himself shrinking through the cord and warping into another time and place….

“AAAAAHHH!!” screamed Lee realising that he was falling fast. Comically, he bounced on a mattress and onto his feet. He turned and saw a magnificent castle and headed over the large wooden drawbridge and entered a small door. Inside he found a busy kitchen. “Hey what’s the date and location?” called out Lee to a chef while he picked up a discarded mop and leant it against the wall. “It’s July 7th, 1899 in Lamington, Queensland”. “Ooops” thought Lee. Balancing a large sponge the maid placed it on the table next to a bowl of chocolate and the chef started work.

The chef carried the magnificently decorated metre tall cake “I call it The Lamington” he said, as he set it in front of a delighted important-looking man. Lee thought “How can this cake be a lamington?” Lee realised picking up the mop had changed history! He quickly ran out and jumped on the mattress, shooting up in the air and zapping back through the portal.

Meanwhile the Professor had fixed the cord, so imagine how startled he was when Lee suddenly zapped back through the receiver, pressed buttons and warped off again.

Lee went back in time to just before his previous arrival.

Lee waited nervously, caught the other Lee and hid him in a corner to stop him from picking up the mop. He quickly explained things to the original Lee and sent him back to the lab. Phew!

Luckily Lee smiled when he saw the Professors delicious lamington’s on the plate.

Lee always remembered that day and still loved Lamingtons!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!