Olympic Catastrophe

My family and I load our belongings into the boot of the taxi and get in. The greatest day of our lives is just within our reach. My father makes a hearty conversation with the driver while my brother and I stick our heads out of the window to smile widely at other drivers as we make our way to the airport.
When we finally arrive, I’m the first to jump out. Nothing can wipe off my good mood! We finish sending off our heavy luggage to Britain and head off to our assigned waiting area.
Did I mention that we were heading for the London Olympics? I’ve always had a thing for sport, so going to the Olympics is going to be an amazing experience!
After a while, there is an announcement to start boarding the plane. My brother and I race each other to the plane.
I board the plane and sit in my seat, comfortably. I start singing the Australian national anthem out loud. After a few minutes, I notice a man next to me, twitching in agitation. I look up and see him staring daggers at me. “Not a supporter of Australia?” I ask. “I’d barrack for any other country” he replies, flatly. “What’s your name?” I ask, enthusiastically. “What’s it to you?” he responds. What a nice name! But I can tell we’re not going to get along well...
I suddenly wake up from a deep sleep. We’re landing! I quickly look out the window to see the shape of a beautiful city forming.
As I take a step into the airport, What’s-it-to-you appears and pushes me aside. I stare after him angrily. We book a hotel to stay the night while we prepare for tomorrow.
We leave the next morning and find ourselves in a queue at the entrance of the Olympic Stadium. I feel the excitement buzzing through me. Unfortunately, we don’t have front seats.
Suddenly, Mr What’s-it-to-you pops up behind me saying, “I’ve got front row tickets!” He somehow knows that I don’t. He is really starting to get on my nerves.
We’re coming to the front of the line, and my mother searches her bag for the tickets. “Can you check your bag?” She asks my father. He combs through his bag and double-checks mums bag. “Oh no…” I think. This is the end…
My vision is blurred. The TV displays the moment of a goal in slow motion. The whole family is on the couch, watching the Olympics. “Mum and dad? What happened?” I ask, drowsily. “Well, you snoozed off and missed the big win for the Australian Hockeyroos!” my dad says. We hear yelling noises from the screen.
We turn towards the screen and see a look-a-like of Mr What’s-it-to-you is arguing with the bodyguards and pointing to occupied seats at the front of the stadium. They lift him up and take him away. I can’t remember a time I ever laughed so hard in my life!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!