New Country

New Country

It’s a whole new beginning for me. A country that I had neither heard of nor spoke of. People who were different from my country and my way of life. An uncle who I have to call Dad! Foods that I’ve never tasted before. An incredibly beautiful house...

The first time I came to Australia I saw Uncle David. I didn’t actually know who he was. I was actually frightened of Uncle David when he said; “Follow me Kids” Martin and I couldn’t understand what he was saying because we couldn’t speak English, well except for the words ‘yes’ and ‘no’

Eventually we followed him to his van. When I entered the van I wanted to sit in the front, but when I was about to enter it I realised that I was sitting on the drivers side. I had a confused look on my face, because in the Philippines the driver sits on the right not on the left. Uncle David laughed at Martin and me when he saw us getting into the van. I couldn’t actually tell him why the driver’s seat is on the left side, because I couldn’t speak English. We left the airport and drove to Capalaba.

When we entered inside the Capalaba Shopping Centre, Uncle David bought each Martin and I some sushi. I had never actually tasted sushi before, but when I tried it I wanted more and Uncle David knew Martin and I wanted more by just looking at our eyes. So he bought another sushi and gave it to us. I started to like him. After we had eaten sushi we caught the barge to the Island.

We got off the barge and kept driving to a hair dressing salon where I saw my aunty cutting and styling people’s hair. I also saw Ellen, my new sister. I ran to her and gave her a big hug. When aunty Elvie finished doing the clients hair I gave her a hug. I also thought that the hair salon was our house!

We finally stopped outside a house. It was beautiful and had a lot of rooms. I kept walking through the house and eventually saw the most beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean. The house was comfortably furnished with couches, chairs and a large dining-room table and a very, very bright kitchen, and I could still see a view of the ocean!

Everyone I met during the day was gathered for dinner. We started to eat; I grabbed some meat and salad with my hand and put it on my plate. I didn’t have any manners then. I ate with my mouth open. I didn’t know how to use a knife and fork! I felt silly and out of place. After we had dinner we had dessert it was the first time I had tasted jelly and it was delicious! I went to bed exhausted.
When I woke up in the morning I realised my life had changed forever.



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!