Echoes

The lights went out, and a hush swept over the auditorium. The audience waited, eyes wide and breath pent, for the same thing I did; for the curtains to open and expose me to the world.

Would I succeed? Would I fail? I took a deep breath to steady myself, but it did nothing to ease my trembling hands and treacherous thoughts – yet, I still felt an odd sense of optimism. So much of my life rested on this moment, but I could feel it. I would do just fine. I checked myself over, straightening my tie and tugging on my cuffs just like a mother would have.

The quiet hiss of the curtains drawing back was all the warning I had; the stage lights flared, illuminating me at the forefront of the stage, sitting before a large, black piano. Suddenly all eyes turned to me, and my heart beat faster.

I set my fingers against the ivory keys, remembering something my teacher had once said. “Your audience isn’t there to see you, only to hear you. The music is yours - they’ll wait as long as you need.”

I took a moment to compose myself - then, with a deep breath, I began.

The song I played was one I knew well; not only had hours of practice cemented its soft, lilting melody, it was the first song I ever wrote – a simple piece, dedicated to my mother. I remembered the first time I played it – even now, I could feel her loving eyes watching over me as I played - not for one person, but a thousand.

Each keystroke trilled like birdsong; each note meant something and resonated joyfully, dancing in the air for just a moment before melting into the wide, sweeping theme. The music was a conduit, molding the carefree memories of my childhood into an audible, beautiful form.

And then, a change. A car, screeching around a corner, bringing death with its iron frame. A body, torn and lifeless, and a broken child crying over it. My grandfather comforting me, even as he himself wept. The days that came afterward, wandering aimlessly without purpose.

And finally, the day when I once again laid eyes on that tall, grand piano.
Fair enough.

I couldn’t see the music sheets through my tears, but I didn’t need to; I knew it all by heart. I shut my eyes and played by feel, letting the song wash over me until it reached its climax, on through its bittersweet dénouement until at last I played the final note, and let it sing its lonely song.

All was silent as I wiped my eyes and stood, walking with unsure steps to the edge of the stage. I took a deep, long bow, then righted myself once more. From the darkness I heard a single clap. Then another. One more – then the entire auditorium filled with the sound of ovation.

I could only bow again, smiling.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!