A Chance To Shine

As I stood in the line outside the audition room, sweat trickled down my forehead and drenched my leotard. I fingered my number anxiously, hoping it would bring me success and pride. I heard the faint music of "Swan Lake" in the background, and the tippety-tap of dance shoes on wooden floor, but all I could focus on was my audition. Time ticked by, minutes took years, yet I waited in my line patiently, focusing on what was ahead of me.

"Number 25!" As I heard my number, my heart beat so hard I was sure everybody could hear it. I didn't have time to think as I was bustled along, through a never ending maze of pink tutus and satin pointe shoes. I was led to a tall oak door, and from there I was on my own. My legs shook like jelly as I turned the brass door handle and entered the room. Inside the room a stern looking elderly lady sat at a polished pine desk, her spectacles sitting firmly at the end of her nose. "You may begin when you're ready." she said, pointing to the corner of the room.

I walked slowly to where I was directed, inhaling the strong smell of wooden floorboards. This is your chance to shine, I told myself, nervousness and worry slowly fading into the background. I took my position, toes pointed and posture straight, ready to dance. As the beautiful music started, I was swept away in a whirlwind of grace, every movement I made fitted perfectly in time with the lovely music. My toes pointed and my arms outstretched, I leapt and pirouetted, twirled and jumped, time flying at each step I made. Freedom and joy took over, and as I danced to the calm, wonderful music I felt peace wash over me like a tide.

Before I knew it, my audition was over. It was like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders, and as I skipped out of the audition room I felt as light as a feather. I bounded over to mum's car, a wide smile lighting up my face. She waved and pulled the window down. "How did it go?" she asked me. "Great!" I replied, grinning at her happily.

As our car drove away from the audition hall car park, I felt so relieved and free I could sing.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!